Gas cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the gas in my house replumbed. One of the things I got the plumber to do was to install a bayonet fitting where the gas cooker's going to go; he said that this meant that I wouldn't need a CORGI guy round to install the cooker: it's just a matter of plugging the hoses in (and installing the chain, of course).

Now I'm being told by a salesman that I can't do this, and I will, in fact, need to fork out money to get it done professionally.

Someone's obviously full of ****... but who?

Sponsored Links
a corgi should fit it to test it for gas tightness when its all connected and also commission it as its a new appliance.

Ah, cr*p.

I don't think there's anything else constructive I can add to that. Oh, well --- thanks for the info.

If you had an original cooker with hose already attached, you could have just plugged it in, the problem is as you are obviously buying a new one, they do not have the hose fitted, which will require the services of a corgi person.

Sponsored Links
And of course you need someone who knows the correct clearances and a still saw to adjust your wall units.

Paul I think you are pulling a leg. When did you (when installing a hob or a cooker) get the saw out to cut the worktop. Incidently, the saw will not cut the worktop or the wall units in situ

corgi = licsence to print money,

i moved into me house with no gas supply in kichen and bioler in a upstairs bedroom,i re routed gas pipes into kitchen for a cooker (brand new 6 burner) and also fitted a brand new combi boiler into kitchen,all old plumbing ,water tank etc was ripped out,and all pipe work re routed and im still here,had to pay a corgi £40.00 to commision boiler ,but only did this for garantee.

sorry for the wind up.

but not sorry for the wad i saved

"corgi = licsence to print money"

Broad statement doesn't apply to my location at this time in history. My mate who just repoints chimneys, slips the odd slate in and plugs up leaks in the odd flat roof, but gives no guarantees earns more than I do. It cost him nothing to train himself.

I already had A levels and a diploma in higher education plus some level three elements. Corgi registration, part L qualification, Part P level two qualification, all at my own expense, 10's of thousands of tools and capital, and after four years I'm not yet earning as much as I was as a specially trained children's nurse.

Less of the prejudice against gas fitters please.

Don't believe all you see on telly.

Not to mention the dangers of what you have done without proper training. We have to pay all this money out to get correctly trained because people died at Ronan Point.

Paul Barker said:
"corgi = licsence to print money"

Broad statement doesn't apply to my location at this time in history. My mate who just repoints chimneys, slips the odd slate in and plugs up leaks in the odd flat roof, but gives no guarantees earns more than I do. It cost him nothing to train himself.

I already had A levels and a diploma in higher education plus some level three elements. Corgi registration, part L qualification, Part P level two qualification, all at my own expense, 10's of thousands of tools and capital, and after four years I'm not yet earning as much as I was as a specially trained children's nurse.

Less of the prejudice against gas fitters please.

Don't believe all you see on telly.

Not to mention the dangers of what you have done without proper training. We have to pay all this money out to get correctly trained because people died at Ronan Point.

Ere Ere!! and would you believe its all because Mrs Ivy Hodge wanted a cup of tea.

Check THIS out.

Doesn't having unregistered gas-work done mean that you forfeit your building insurance, anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back