Gas Cooker Minute Timer Bell Erratic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Cannon Chichester gas cooker has a minute timer with a warning "bell" which works fine when cooking for short periods but won't sound at high temperatures when the cooker has be in use for quite long periods. I can only guess that it is failing when it gets to a certain temperature. I would like to access the mechanism to see if cleaning it would help, but don't know how. Has anyone any hints & tips on dismantling?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
I recently had similar with my minute minder on a Stoves range, although mine stopped working intermittently, then all together after a couple of weeks. The automatic timer on the oven still worked ok, it was just the beeps didn't sound on the minute minder. Googling your Cannon Chichester threw up some images where the clock looks similar to ours, ie 5 buttons and a blue digital display. The clock fitted to lots of cookers are variations of the Invensys EL145, like this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannon-Oa...int-Indesit-/151767355249?hash=item23560a0f71
I took mine to my local computer fixer shop where the guy said it was the sounder which was faulty but as it's an AC current rather than DC he couldn't get the part. A new timer was about £100 but I found a used one on ebay for £16. Beware the part numbers, some seem simply to have a different colour "smoked" face, or others have different pcb layouts. I bought one with the same pcb layout and swapped the innards into our non-smoked glass surround. It now works fine again.

My clock simply clicks into the frame of the cooker with 4 plastic lugs. If yours is similar then you probably only need the front control panel removed from your cooker. Try removing the knobs and see if there are any screws hidden behind - that's where mine are.

Hope this helps :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back