Gas - Copper Sleive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am having a gas meter put in next month.

I will be connecting it up to a fire, hob and combi. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there would be a problem with leaving a 15mm pipe under the kitchen floor to insert the pipe for the hob. The reason why I want to do this is to allow me to put the kitchen in and not have to disturb the floor again for the gas pipe.

Thoughts appreciated

Jamesy

Sponsored Links
unless you are corgi registered you can't connect anything to gas.

Also B.G. will not supply you with a meter unless there u=is something to connect it to that they can then tes. (this is what happened when i had gas installed when i bought my previos place that was all electric. BG dug a hole put in pipe but no meter, when bg put in cooker and fire they also put in the meter)

I had the same in the last house-transco supplied the outside supply and a meter,my corgi bloke put all the internal lines in and installed the boiler.He terminated the line in the kitchen.I connected the cooker and hob myself (naughty boy-but my mitigation was the work was supervised by the father in law who was a gas fitter before retirement)
I then waited 8 weeks and 6 phone calls for BG to switch on.
Your copper pipe must be plastic coated if its going under concrete as it would otherwise corrode rapidly.

The gas carrier's subcontractor ( not necessarily BG) will usually supply/fit a capped off meter.

Suggest you bring your gas pipe up the wall and clip and cap it off before fitting the kitchen.

Anyone can put a bit of pipe in - it's up to your corgi guy whether he allows use of it or not. It will need supporting every 1.2m, keeping away from any thing like cement (or sleeve/wrap it correctly), sleeve correctly through walls, and it mustn't leak!

In concrete there are special regs.

For hob fire and combi I'd come off the meter in 28mm though a branch to a normal cooker would be 15mm.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Anyone can put a bit of pipe in - it's up to your corgi guy whether he allows use of it or not. It will need supporting every 1.2m, keeping away from any thing like cement (or sleeve/wrap it correctly), sleeve correctly through walls, and it mustn't leak!

In concrete there are special regs.

For hob fire and combi I'd come off the meter in 28mm though a branch to a normal cooker would be 15mm.

would have to disagree slightly mate as it must be a competent installer who installs pipework that may at some point in the future be utilized for the conveyencing of a gas supply

I would rather lose a job that presume that a pipe installed under concrete by a non corgi person conforms with the regulations

Most decent Eng wont trust non visible gas pipes put in by a "punter" he would legally be responsible for it afterwards and have to take your word for it being ok. If it can be inspected after installation ie tap door, hatch or similar that mite be ok or better still just get him to do it.I hope your not doing it all yourself as your question does not inspire confidence

as a suggestion, you could always dig the trench your self, saving on labour costs, and let the gas man put the pipe in.

breezer said:
as a suggestion, you could always dig the trench your self, saving on labour costs, and let the gas man put the pipe in.

As I hate and loath putting shovel to sod this solution would suit me fine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back