Gas exams?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My young(23) son in law is a trainee plumber working for a real one. He wants to get gas qualified and due to his late start wants to get gas qualified as fast as possible. What is the route he should go down?

Sponsored Links
All depends on what he wants to get qualified to do ? it is a very broad spectrum

Don't let him do a fast-track course - he'll come out knowing nothing and will be a danger to himself and others. He needs to go through proper practical on-the-job training with an experienced engineer

He's working with a proper domestic heating engineer 5 days a week, but he must do exams too, he wants to do domestic gas work

Sponsored Links
Is he not doing an NVQ on day release? Gas exams are normally included as part of NVQ3

If he's an Adult Trainee doing an apprenticeship, he'll do his 'Gas' at the end of his College course.

Why is this "real one" not apparently managing his training?

Tony

He needs to get himself into a local college on an NVQ course in September, maybe start making enquiries around June. It'll take 3-4 years to complete NVQ2 and NVQ3

If the guy he's working for now is taking the pizz, there are plenty of other companies out there

due to his late start wants to get gas qualified as fast as possible

Possibly not the right attitude - he should want to get qualified as BEST as possible. Knowing the regs is only a small part of the job.

As has been said - any course he goes on should have a proper qualification at the end.

Grafting is part of the process. Is he learning, studying in his own time? What books has he bought to facilitate this personal development?

Muggles,getting a chance as an apprentice plumber is virtually impossible, the competition is hugeand most oneman outfits are sick of lazy, don't care lads so prefer to work alone

Muggles,getting a chance as an apprentice plumber is virtually impossible, the competition is hugeand most oneman outfits are sick of lazy, don't care lads so prefer to work alone

That is quite true!

Which is why it is so easy for a sensible hard worker to get an apprenticeship.

But they are not available to people who want to cut corners and get gas registered quickly.

Did your son in law go to uni?

I allowed myself to listen to a mother! Let her son come out with me for an afternoon! Asked him to use a pipeslice to cut a 22 mm pipe. Five minutes later he was still cutting it! At least he was not because he was allowing the tube to turn so the tool was not doing any cutting. He had been on the college course for TWO years!

It turned out he has already taken the initial CCN gas exam and FAILED on 3 out of 4 of the papers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back