Gas fire fitting nightmare - please help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for reading this post I hope someone can help.

Basically, I'm looking for a gas fire that's suitable for a 5inch flue and will fit in the Gallery Lytton cast.

I purchased a package of the internet of Hearth, Surround, fireplace and gas fire, all from the Gallery range. I had a fitter come to fit the fireplace, then the gas fitter came to fit the fire.

The gas fitter pointed out that the fire supplied required a 7 inch flue, whereas I have a 5 inch flue installed.

The website said they have managed to 'find' a gallery fire to fit a 5 inch flue, but want ne to pay £100 and return the one I have with no refund.

The gas fitter has also sourced one for £295!!!!!

All I want is the burner bit isn't it? how can that be so expensive, is someone trying to rip me pff here? Where can I go to purchase the fire (burner) I need for a 5 inch flue?

Sponsored Links
When you call on services of an installer, he supplies the goods and takes the heat if things go belly up (like you have listed).

As you have purchased the appliance (without knowledge of peripherals), now it is going to cost you more than what you would have paid the installer in the first place.

Gas appliances cannot be modified to suit the end user. You can modify it(for yourself) but I do not think the beak would be very sympathetic should someone get hurt. You will not get an installer to fit a modified appliance either.

DP
When you call on services of an installer, he supplies the goods and takes the heat if things go belly up (like you have listed).

As you have purchased the appliance (without knowledge of periferals), now it is going to cost you more than what you would have paid the installer in the first place.

Gas appliances cannot be modified to suit the end user. You can modify it(for yourself) but I do not think the beak would be very simpathetic should someone get hurt. You will not get an installer to fit a modified appliance either.

Is there any point posting the above statement :?:

This happens far to frequently. They will never learn.
No doubt its going to cost them more, tough :D .
My concern is the amount of time installers have lost due to penny pinching customers buying wrong products, does my head in :evil:

Job were on now we supplied heating system. :cool:

Customer knew better and ordered bathroom something or other on the internet, reckoned he saved a fortune :LOL: :LOL: .
Cloak room w/c & basin made in UAE dont think they have flat walls there.

Shower base more rock than a rocking horse :LOL: :LOL:

Shower screen was good, no manufacturers address or Tel No and only a 1 page instruction manual showing a completed shower cubicle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What normally takes a couple days to fit has taken 3 1/2 dAYS so he's been charge for the extra time, now who,s :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Don't you just love clever customers, I do coz they end up paying me more £££££ bang goes their saving money :) :) :)

Is there any point posting the above statement :?:

This happens far to frequently. They will never learn.
No doubt its going to cost them more, tough :D .
My concern is the amount of time installers have lost due to penny pinching customers buying wrong products, does my head in :evil:

Every opportunity to educate customers should be taken!

As you say its usually the installer who loses out when a customer buys totally unsuitable appliances. Few customers realise the stupidity of what they have done or will reimburse the installer for all his wasted time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
To all the above,

I am happy to admit that I have made a mistake, and at no point in my post have I laid any blame on any one. I have also stated that I know I need to purchase a new gas insert. I wanted a bit of help deciding which information I had been given was correct as it feels like someone is trying to take us for more then they should be when it comes to getting a new insert. I now know this is the case as the original website has offerd to swap the insert for a usable one a decent cost to us way below the £295 charge quoted by the gas fitter - they actually offered a solution as opposed to you lot who are sucking through your teeth - 'you're a t@@t and it's going to cost you'.

As usual with tradesmen, no one is prepared to take responsibility, but you will take my money - which I happy to give if I get good service!

None of these posts have actually provide me with any useful information. I thought this site was a forum for DIY, and to give help and advice to members. NOT a site where tradespeople can talk among themselves and agree what a pain in the arse customers are.

By your posts can I assume that you think that naive customers are just a waste of your time, and not actually an opportunity for you to give a decent professional service?

Most dissapointed in your answers - and you are just confirming what I believe which is that if you want good service, Do It Yourself (unless it's plastering because that's a true skill)!!

I purchased a package of the internet of Hearth, Surround, fireplace and gas fire, all from the Gallery range. I had a fitter come to fit the fireplace, then the gas fitter came to fit the fire.

point is you jumped in and bought the stuff

why should the fitter carry the can

you should have got some advice before parting with your hard earned

At what point have I asked the fitter to carry the can? All I wanted was advice on where I can get a new gas insert...

Perhaps I wrote my original post in a misleading way?

Forgive me for asking, but why are you mad at us? When you bought the fire, did you consider to ask anyone who fits fires about what you need? NO, you didn't.. You bought what you wanted, thinking like many of our customers think, "Well how hard can it be to fit a fire?, you just stick it in the hole and connect the gas" Sadly you have now found out that this is not the case. If not fitted correctly a gas fire is lethal and given that there are so many combinations of surround, box burner etc many are made to be unique to that particular fire, it is not always a case of mixing and matching ' till it sort of works... It MUST be right and as the manufacturers say it must be fitted.. If the supplier is willing to take back the fire and supply you with the one that you need then that would be your best route.

I have a customer in a similar position, they bought their fire on line with no manufacturers instructions, saved a few quid on the fire warehouse down the road (who would have surveyed the job, advised and fitted it for a lot less than I would) but are now stuck with a fire that is unsuitable for the cast surround that they bought, and it is my fault that I have refused to fit it. Personally I think that all open flued gas fires should be banned

At what point have I asked the fitter to carry the can? All I wanted was advice on where I can get a new gas insert...

Perhaps I wrote my original post in a misleading way?

From the manufacturer of the fire or their agent, which I would say is the supplier that you originally bought the fire off, they know the fire and what can be done legally to make your fire suit your flue... Every fire has to be tested extensively to make sure that they are fit for the purpose..

Any fitter who does not fit a fire in accordance with the manufacturers instructions risks his liberty.

By your posts can I assume that you think that naive customers are just a waste of your time, and not actually an opportunity for you to give a decent professional service?

I am sure that your installer has taken into account his wasted time to date when preparing his quote. I am sure that you have not paid him anything for his wasted time with you.

For yor installer to source, order and receive a fire does take some time for which he reasonably expects to be paid.

The decent service is provided to those who actually ask our advice.

You are right! Customers who dont ask our advice first and just order unsuitable appliances do waste our time and dont expect to pay for all our wasted effort. Nor do they expect to pay for the extra time we have to spend in sorting out the problems they have made.

Thats why many gas engineers will not fit appliances supplied by the householder.

You cannot immagine how many calls I get from people who have bought things on ebay and when I ask about the installation fittings pack I am told its missing. They probably circulate round several sales!

Tony

Corgigrouch";p="871508 said:
Forgive me for asking, but why are you mad at us? When you bought the fire, did you consider to ask anyone who fits fires about what you need? NO, you didn't.. You bought what you wanted, thinking like many of our customers think, "Well how hard can it be to fit a fire?, you just stick it in the hole and connect the gas"

I'm not mad at my situation, I took a risk to save money and overall it has worked albeit with added complications. I'm mad at the initial responses to my post. Do you really think that people aren't going to do they're own research into products to ensure we're getting the best deal?

I mentioned that I had some wildly different quotes from tradesmen, and wanted some advice. I am happy to pay for a service provided, provided that service leaves me feeling like I have been treated well as a customer - not just a source of money. I felt compelled to respond to the initial quotes because they were completely unhelpful.

You say that it's quite common for people to get their own products and ask for a proffesional fitting service, so when you're quoting for a job where you are using a customer sourced product why do you not check for things like this?

As it turns out, I believe the fitter was being helpful, but we have sourced a suitable fire for a much lower price and we want him to fit it. What's wrong with that I ask you? Why does this cause you such grief - if it's part and parcel of the job, why do you moan about it? If you negotiate the quote properly outlining what is included then you can up the price if things change - This is your responsibility, not the customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back