Gas pipes for living flame fire

aj3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help me. I am replacing a fireplace at the moment, and have had the old fire removed (by a proffessional!!) and currently rebuilding the new fireplace.

The old gas fire had a supply off to the side of the fire, and I would like to try and hide the fitting as I dont want to the supply to run accross the hearth. I have an opportunity at the moment to run a pipe under the floor, under the hearth and get it to appear between the back hearth and the hearth. I will of course get a gas fitter to connect the supply to both the pipe and the fire, but in order to preserve the floor boards etc I want to route the pipe through myself. Is it possible to buy flexible gas pipes that I can lay myself, so that all the fitter has to do is connect the various parts. If so can someone advise me where I can buy them and what they might be called.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can't help you with the pipes but will say the living flame fires give out the same heat as a small candle. :(

Have a proper fire fitted. :D

If you lay any pipe, it's DIY gas work which technically you are allowed to do. However the Corgi person's job is not to connect or approve your work (its not a certification service), its a competency license to carry out and self certify his own work.

without looking at it, i would say routing depends on what and where.

is the existing pipe beind skirting boards running to the hearth prior to going to breast or does it rise through floor at that point, i presume thats where the existing one is given your comments if not why are you looking to do it that way when you can drill through breast for new entry point or a rising pipe int he catchement area.

the answer is no their are no suitable flexi pipes made for use with gas fires.

most use microbore pipe as its easy to bend by hand and doesnt need elbow joints

Sponsored Links
Can't help you with the pipes but will say the living flame fires give out the same heat as a small candle. :(

Have a proper fire fitted. :D

dfe(basket fires ect) you mean not living flame (coal effect)different thing altogether mate. 5kw output will give atleast 4.5/5 kw

Yes - the existing pipe comes through the floor next to the hearth. Was looking to do a flexi pipe because I dont think I can get a rising pipe into the catchment area from below, and I am loathed to chip out more of the brickwork to go behind.

By the sounds of things, a flex pipe does not really exist (I thought something like a cooker hose might exist for this - but clearly not).

I think I will maybe halt the rebuilding of the firplace just now and get the gas fitter to have a look now and see if I can get a microbore pipe in elsewhere whilst most of the fireplace is in pieces in my lounge....

Cheers for everyones input!!

ok so pipe is in front off fire place, is it concealed by the hearth i can help you though it no probs and dont down tools yet

you can use microbore to rise in gap between hearth and catchment area bringing the pipe round the back of opening to the fitting point.

by the sounds of it you doing the general building part yourself, are you useing the correct materials to seal the area as not to allow fumes to enter your home

Planning to use fire retardent filler to fill behind all the fireplace bits and pieces to ensure I dont smoke myself out.

Thinking about it - I reckon I could create a channel behind the cast iron insert (if I chip out a small section of the chairbrick) and along the wall about 12 inches to allow a pijpe to come in from the side into the catchment area, which would allow any gas pipework to slot in. Would need to reseal of course after.

nah dont do that, ok i take it the pipe is away from hearth, ok run it behind skirting board and rise at opening in and around the back of openind to where the pipe is needed.

you can knock some plaster away to allow the new pipe which would be 10mm from inside using the filler compund sealing it up. when the earth is in palce you will ahve to fill that area anyway so why not put the pipe throughthat area also.
i doubt you will need to knock away plaster though as the bottom of walls tend to be lacking in plaster and once sealed up will be ok.

another alternative is to drill a hole and put a sleave pipe through then the microbore going straight through.

i

Is it just me or do others not understand a word Doyle is saying..

Aj3 your way is ok as there is more room to work with doing it that way.. bringing it into middle opening fom underneath makes it more awkward.
ONE metre max of 8mm microbore though

Thanks to everyone for their advice - should def be able to manage one/combination of these tequniques/ideas.

Cheers
:)

Fairly sure I can fit in a "sleeve" arrangement so that the gas fitter has somewhere they can pass an 8mm pipe from the gas source. Would work well so I can build the thing to completion and then have fire fitted at a later date.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Is it just me or do others not understand a word Doyle is saying..

Aj3 your way is ok as there is more room to work with doing it that way.. bringing it into middle opening fom underneath makes it more awkward.
ONE metre max of 8mm microbore though

nah just you tis old age i think, did i not talk of drilling and sleaving on two above post, ere i speak up abit aswell old git DID I NOT SAY ON TWO POST DRILL/SLEEVE ?????

happen you can use you intellect to inform bacho of the difference between living flame and dfe fires in dummy brummie lingo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back