Gas fire fitting nightmare - please help?

You say that it's quite common for people to get their own products and ask for a proffesional fitting service, so when you're quoting for a job where you are using a customer sourced product why do you not check for things like this?

What like you buying the wrong fire?

What are we mind readers?

How do you price for someone buying the wrong stuff,do we simply add on another £200 or what just in case it is wrong?

Is that proffesional(sic)?

Sponsored Links
Usually the customer says he has bought a fire and asks us by phone to fit it.

We ask if the flue has been tested and they say no!

We give a price for fitting the fire without having seen the house or the fire.

Only when we go there do we have the opportunity to test the flue and check the fire for compatibility.

If the flue fails the test the householder does not want to pay us!

If the fire is not suitable or parts are missing ( common on cheap deals from ebay! ) then again the customer does not want to pay us!

Its a hard life dealing with stingey customers who go out of their way to save themselves money by giving us all the hassels.

We like to supply and fit so we are fully in control of the quality of the job from the beginning.

Tony

Hang on all, why am I fire fighting about not paying for a service? More than once in this post I've said:

I made a mistake that's my fault
happy to pay for a service

Why is everyone banging on about people not paying up and customers doing the 'wrong' thing in this post? I get it OK, you want an easy life with perfect customers, doesn't everyone?

All I wanted is an idea of what to do next to get the job done? Why not a constructive post from someone saying: Here's what you need to get for your fire, and you should expect an additional call out charge from your fitter for the wasted journey. Now wasn't that simple?

Why not a constructive post from someone saying: Here's what you need to get for your fire, and you should expect an additional call out charge from your fitter for the wasted journey. Now wasn't that simple?

But you know thats what you need to do and you have a fitter all ready to install your fire!

Why are you hesitating to get it all arranged?

Experienced gas engineers learn to identify problem customers and its only usually the inexperienced who fit customer bought appliances.

I will often fit customer bought appliances as long as they are new and in the original packaging with all the installation accessories. I have been stung too many times to bother with ebay bought things as they are usually there for a reason like being faulty goods or with parts missing or just plain stolen.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You don't get it do you.

Taking your gas fire as an example.Have you any idea just how many gas fires that are available out there?

As someone else pointed out almost every gas fire installation is particular to a single job as in no two gas fire jobs are the same,down to an unbelievable number of variables as a result of which most people have given up installing them.

Same with boilers. Do you know that there are over 1100 different models of central heating boilers in circulation in this country?

Some manufacturers have more than 30 boilers in a single range of boilers.

Yet we are supposed to know every single one by name and how to repair and install them.

So someone like you goes off and buys a gas fire because it is a 'gas fire' and simply presumes that it will fit into their flue/fireplace and when it doesn't the engineer is 'at it'.This is despite the fact that the engineer would have to do some work in order to confirm that your fire is not suitable even if that only means turning up and reading your MIs.

The fact that your installer quoted you nearly £300 to supply you the correct gas fire for your installation tells it's own story.

Difficult customers are ten a penny and frankly, are not worth the bother.

All I wanted is an idea of what to do next to get the job done? Why not a constructive post from someone saying: Here's what you need to get for your fire, and you should expect an additional call out charge from your fitter for the wasted journey. Now wasn't that simple?

Have you not learned that you need an RGI on site to able to give the correct information !!!

You have an open flued appliance which requires an RGI to come and asses it all.
An RGI has attended at your request and has given you the information you require.
You are now asking other RGI's to find fault in his findings without seeing the job 1st hand.

Can you see where this is going ?

I hope you do take into consideration, the time & knowledge the attending RGI used !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back