Gas fire in house with no flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help me as we're getting a little confused!

We just moved out into the country after having out first baby and we love it. However, we now have an LPG gas supply, fed from a tank. After the weekend's storms, we found ourselves without electricity and heating, and had to ship out to my mother's for a night.

I'd like to avoid this in the future, so we are looking to install a gas fire (no boiler) in gthe living room. Our house is about 20 years old and a bungalow and there is no chimney.

What I'm asking is: does building a chimney breast out of plasterboard enable us to fit a gas fire and surround in the living room? And can the flue be vertical initially, and then angle out through an external wall above head height?

Any help gratefully received!

C

Sponsored Links
Erm no. You may be able to fit a firebox with a vertical flue or if you are feeling a bit daring maybe even a flueless fire.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I wasn't clear. What I wondered was if I built a chimney breast in my living room from plasterboard, then fitted a fireplace and gas fire into it, could i then have a vertical flue (like the ones fitted to boilers) inside that chimney breast, which would then travel up through the ceiling and roof?

It really has to be a vertical flue because outside the wall where the fire would go is a path and then my garage maybe three feet away, so people regularly walk past the spot where a horizontal flue would go.

And I don't really like the idea of a flueless fire. Don't think you should compromise in these areas.

Thanks for the suggestions, though - very much appreciated!

If the heating is you biggest worry, you can get an emergency power supply to run the boiler. If you just supply the boiler, it doesn't need much power just to run the controls and pump, it will run for several hours on just a battery-run inverter. It is a lot easier to install this if you have the boiler fed from a plug and socket rather than the more common FCU and this is a simple change to make.

You might consider a generator, but (unless you can afford a proper professional installation which is quite complicated) do not try to have it wired into your house electric supply. Amateur installations are usually shockingly dangerous. Just use an extension lead to run a couple of lights and the gas boiler until the Hydro men fix the lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back