Gas Fire to Log burner in a house built by monkeys

?
That makes no sense.

If he's connected it in some odd way which requires access above the register plate but the plate isnt removable, you cant ever take the stove out without breaking into the wall!!

You should be able to remove/install the stove without disturbing the register plate or anything else.

We line, finish the opening however the customer wants, fit register plate, plaster, then last thing to be done is put the stove in.

Sponsored Links
Hi Graeme,

I've no idea, I'm not a stove fitter hence I've got someone in to do the job for me. If I do decide to take the stove when I move (never thought about that to be honest) it can be removed from the rear flue adaptor by two nuts (worst scenario).

For anyone else reading this that's thinking of embarking on a Stove project, have a look at http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/

It's a great source of information and if, like me, you are thinking of doing parts yourself, it will guide you through all the necessary steps.

How are you finding the stove now it has turned a little fresh, we fitted a Charnwood in summer and absolutely love it, nice big window easy to clean and maintain and wow gives plenty of heat for a little one.

Hi,

The stove's great, really pleased with it. I've purchased an EcoFan which helps to push the heat into the room so you use less wood (it actually works). I'm thinking of adding the multi-fuel grate so I can throw some coals on and keep the place cozy overnight.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The stove's great, really pleased with it. I've purchased an EcoFan which helps to push the heat into the room so you use less wood (it actually works). I'm thinking of adding the multi-fuel grate so I can throw some coals on and keep the place cozy overnight.

Yeah we bought a cheap eco fan to but as its our first year no idea if it works or not, in principle it should do!

Ours is the multi fuel one C4 and is quiet happy ticking over with some coal on and the odd bit of ash :)

Would you recommend the solid fuel grate, does it save that much on wood? It's a bit of a stretch for another £190 if the gain is only minimal.

Would you recommend the solid fuel grate, does it save that much on wood? It's a bit of a stretch for another £190 if the gain is only minimal.

Not sure as ours came as a complete unit, so only ever mixed it costs me £7 bag of smokeless should get around 8 - 10 days and its £90 for a trailer load of wood from a friend of mine who owns a farm. the wood should easily last me the winter and probably alf next winter. The coal tend to stay hot for around 2 hours or so and I am tight so only stick around 10 lumps at a time on lol.

You shouldn't store your logs in the sides when the fire is in use as they can combust!

Looks great though, currently trying to persuade my better half to change our open fire into a log burner!

Not a chance that the logs will catch fire at the side !!!!

Just bumping this thread to show the addition of a mantle

I felt that there was something missing as there was no chimney breast to draw your eye. The oak was from a timber merchants and then finished / polished by hand. Fixings were bolts screwed into the wall and then chemically glued into the mantle.

You shouldn't store your logs in the sides when the fire is in use as they can combust!
You're right. I found that out the hard way!
Luckily, we were sitting in front of the fire when we noticed smoke coming from the stacked logs and, upon closer examination, we saw that some of the logs had started to kindle where they were in contact with the sides of the fire. Needless to say, we quickly removed them.
They made a nice smell, though!

Same here, the room took on a definite burning smell with the logs against the side.

They most likely wouldn't combust but the wood is only there in the summer months for decoration now.

Another consideration is that, if the sides of the stove are hot enough to ignite logs, these logs must be acting as an insulating layer and that heat should really be better used to heat the room.
We have a Stirling engine fan on top of our log burner to increase the circulation of air around our stove for that very reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back