Gas fire won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new fire installed not long ago, a homeflame harmony.

Sometimes when I try to light it, it doesn't stay lit.

I don't know if it is faulty or if it is the oxysafe kicking in.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
it was only installed a few weeks ago.... it is brand new

Sponsored Links
I will call them back, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what it might be

I will call them back, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what it might be

it may be your not lighting it correctly, the pilot is dirty or a loose connection on a thermocouple amongst other things.

I can hold the ignition for ages and it just doesn't stay lit.

The pilot comes on, I hold down the ignition for 10 seconds and then it should stay lit, but it just goes out.

I can hold the ignition for ages and it just doesn't stay lit.

The pilot comes on, I hold down the ignition for 10 seconds and then it should stay lit, but it just goes out.

try 30-45 seconds

tried that long too

I opened my house door for a bit and tried again... it worked. Could it be the oxysafe then?

tried that long too

I opened my house door for a bit and tried again... it worked. Could it be the oxysafe then?

the oxysafe cuts the pilot out should there be a lack of clean air. Unless the fire has been running and the flue spilling the oxysafe won't cut out.

really strange then... it only lit once I opened the door :confused:

I wonder if the chimney has a draught that causes it not to light sometimes?

Thank you for your quick replies :D

a fire with an oxysafe pilot only needs the oxysafe if there is spillage causing the oxysafe to "kick-in" and close off the gas supply so if the fire wasn't lit and can't be lit more likely a loose, dirty pilot or thermcouple connection, as it is new get the installer back to check it.

What if the fire was not installed by a registered fitter? I wonder why the OP is asking questions here and not on the phone to get the fitter come PDQ

What if the fire was not installed by a registered fitter? I wonder why the OP is asking questions here and not on the phone to get the fitter come PDQ

good point ;)

of course the fire was installed by a corgi installer!

I just wanted to know what it might be before calling them back :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back