Gas hob fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative just had their old hob removed and replaced with a new one.

the fitting to connect to gas mains looked like a straight compression tap connector with fibre washer.

Has this been done right?

Sponsored Links
This sounds like one for Chris R when he has finished sorting out the noisy Worcester 24i.

Tony

If it is a standard tap connector, then I would say no.

Should be a 1/2" female - 15mm connector (compression or solder.

I think its worse than that Dave.

There were long discussions elsewhere.

I think the gist is that the hobs usually come with PARALLEL threads. But for gas you should always use TAPER threads.

CORGI were taking people to task a while ago when they came up against this problem but then it went quiet. Anyway now they have more to think about.

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is what it looked like aprt from it being a compression joint

is that correct?

p1081780_l.jpg

definately not the correct fitting, the lip on the fitting is to go inside a tap or ballvalve not on a flat face of a gas fitting, the correct fitting is a 1/2"FI fitting, i have seen them used where the lip has been cut off and filed flat but it is never going to be right, get it changed ASAP in case it starts to leak

If you think its the wrong fitting or not installed properly phone corgi to come and inspect it,they will come for FREE and will give you piece of mind
Let the lazy inspectors earn there money :LOL:

Did they notify the job,they should have received a notification that it was installed by a rgi ;)

I was at one today that had that fitting and a cheap 15MM iso-valve fitted to the old hob supply. Naturally I did away with both of them.

Who fitted the hob...kitchen fitters/diy?

Most hobs come with a 1/2 elbow. The flat faced parallel thread end connects to the hob with an approved washer (sometimes graphite) but NEVER a tap washer. The tapered thread connects to a 1/2 female coupling with suitable gas sealant PTFE.

Yes, thats how they should be!

But most are parallel threads both ends!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back