Gas leak sogns on plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope someone can give me an opinion here.

A while ago I had a new boiler installed and in order to run the gas pipes upstairs, the installer channelled out a section of my wall, ran the pipe up and filled it in (with something black). Whatever he filled it in with was proud of the wall so, while I had a plasterer in doing some other bits, I asked him of he could make if flush and skim it over so I could paint it.

The plaster work has been done for 2 months now and has dried out fine but there are two patches, one a spot and another about 4" long by 0.5" wide that look wet feel slightly damp. I can't smell anything. I'm a little confused because there's no water pipe behind, only a gas one.

I dont' know if the plasterer might have chipped away at the filling that the gas fitter had done and maybe nicked the gas pipe and even if he did I don't know if a slight gas leak might appear wet on the plaster but this is all I can think of.

Has anyone out there got any ideas on what might be causing these odd wet-look patches?

By the way, this is odwnstairs in the living room and at the same time as the plastereing work I had the upstairs bathroom ripped out and re-done so perhaps a pipe was disloged and I've got a leak running down somewhere? Seems a bit unlikely but I just have no clue!

Thanks for your help.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
depending on what type of appliance(s) you have (ie electronic without pilots) and the size of leak it is you could take a very accurate meter reading late at night, make sure your heating etc isnt going to come on early next morning then take another reading when you get up, it might show a tiny movement indicating gas usage which will be a leak if everything is off,

depending on what type of appliance(s) you have (ie electronic without pilots) and the size of leak it is you could take a very accurate meter reading late at night, make sure your heating etc isnt going to come on early next morning then take another reading when you get up, it might show a tiny movement indicating gas usage which will be a leak if everything is off,

or phone 0800 111999 and they will call out free of charge to test properly

or phone 0800 111999 and they will call out free of charge to test properly

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Never seen a gasleak that made a wet spot in a wall.
As above: in case of doubt call 0800111999

What room is this? Is it the kitchen or a room used for drying clothes? I've seen linear damp patches on plaster over a buried mains pipe and I wonder if your room is damp and the underlying copper pipe is cooling the plaster enough to cause condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back