Gas Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if I can ask for some advice. I had a boiler fitted by an engineer about two months ago, this included fitting a new gas meter and running gas pipes from the meter to the boiler. Everything has been fine. Today I can smell gas from beneath the cabinets in the kitchen. I do not believe I have knocked anything and have not had any other work done.

Question is this - can an engineers work fail like this a couple of months down the line? I can't think it should since I haven't smelt the gas before?

Sponsored Links
any joint can leak at any time it may of held or been ok at time of install.

If you can smell gas turn it off at the meter (dont flick on the lights/naked flames etc) and phone your supplier, they will come straight out and test it for you. Be aware if it is leaking they wont fix it for you and will cap it off. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gigz - yes I have turned it off, and the property is vacant at the moment - I would like to just call the engineer back to get it fixed rather than have it capped.

If its a job your installer has done he should do it for free, if its on a different section of pipe he may charge you.

Yes - he did all the pipework from the meter to the cooker and boiler - anyone disagree and thinks I would be expected to pay for the work?

Instead of coming on the net asking what others would do , when you dont actually know what the fault is... Why not phone the guy and see what he says.. Think that is the easiest thing

turning off the gas is not enough, you must contact the gas supplier and get it safely isolated (ie capped off) how did you confirm the supply is actually off (as opposed to you turning the valve off and assuming the gas is off) the reality is the valve will have shut the supply but nevertheless it needs to be confirmed where the leak is, if it is on the downstream (inlet side) then you haven't isolated the leak yet, especially with a vacant prop, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU GO BACK IN, AND DONT SWITCH THE LIGHT ON UNTIL YOU CONFIRM THERE IS NO SMELL OF GAS :eek: :eek:

Thats the official view!

Any gas engineer can do the necessary checks and the installer will come out free for you. The sooner the better.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back