Possible underground gas leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were told last night (by an emergency engineer) we have a gas leak in our internal gas pipework, and our gas meter has been turned off. We actually called the engineer as the cooker gas smelt of paraffin and we thought something was wrong, but he said that was just caused by an interaction with varnish, which we were having done). Discovery of the gas leak was coincidental.

The pipe from the meter (which is under the stairs) goes underground to a kitchen in an extension (where all gas appliances are located) and exits the ground in a boiler cupboard in the kitchen (and from there is attached to kitchen wall to service cooker).

Please could you help me with the following questions:

As we have not smelt gas in the kitchen, is this a strong indicator the leak must be in the underground run?

Is there technology to sheath the internals of the underground pipe to avoid ripping up the floor? If so, is it very common/expensive?

An option is to run make the existing pipe redundant and run a new one along the external side wall to the extension. The only issue I have read about is the possibility of the copper being stolen! Could we use a less expensive material externally to minimise that risk, or otherwise secure it?

Sponsored Links
The safest material outside is Steel, painted with red oxide and the a decorative finish.

Did you notice how bad the leak was out of interest.

Incidentally it would pay you to get it tested by your gas fitter first.

Thanks doitall

We actually didn't notice a gas leak at all, as there was no smell and no obvious other symptons such as loss of pressure. If it wasn't for the paraffin smell, we would be blissfully unaware even now!

Do you mean the gas fitter we call in to find/fix the leak should be asked to reconfirm there is a leak?

Although a gas leak underground is possible.

It would be wise to have a gas engineer with an electric gas sniffer visit.
(Check they have one if they don't get someone else).

Usual suspects would be connections to the appliance, or a gas valve on an appliance letting gas pass. Connections to cookers and fires a typical causes.

Sponsored Links
Definatley get it tested by another independent gas engineer. These emergency gas engineers that you call do not want to take any reponsibility, and will turn off your meter to make it safe.
A small gas leak is permissible if there is no smell of gas, and this can be tested by a qualified engineer.

Thanks for the replies

I'll be calling an independent fitter first thing tomorrow morning. I'd still be interested though if it does turn out it must be an underground leak whether there is some type of internal sheathing that can be fed in for the repair?

Thanks for the replies

I'll be calling an independent fitter first thing tomorrow morning. I'd still be interested though if it does turn out it must be an underground leak whether there is some type of internal sheathing that can be fed in for the repair?

No nothing to sheath it.
As to the varnish this is very unlikely to have caused any problem.
Over a long period of time cement does hole copper pipe if it is unprotected.
The only options are to run the pipe outside.
Or up and over through the upstairs and then down into the kitchen.
Outside it probably easiest.
I wouldn't worry about the copper being stolen not on a live gas pipe.
Even thieves aren't that stupid. But you never know maybe they are.

Thanks doitall

We actually didn't notice a gas leak at all, as there was no smell and no obvious other symptons such as loss of pressure. If it wasn't for the paraffin smell, we would be blissfully unaware even now!

Do you mean the gas fitter we call in to find/fix the leak should be asked to reconfirm there is a leak?

Yes, as the other have posted, get your own gas fitter to test it first, could be an appliance etc.

Thanks again doitall, but the engineer did disconnect the cooker and boiler and then retested for a leak and said there definitely was one. However, no harm getting it rechecked by someone else, as you say.

You'll need a quote for the new pipe anyway so he can do it at the same time.

Think carefully about Copper outside though, it is a high risk.

Thought it would be interesting to share what happened.

We called British Gas for their 'trace and repair' service. and the engineer took several readings and could not reproduce a 'leak' result. So he left happy there was no leak and put the gas back on!

My question is how could the 'emergency' engineer get it so wrong (if he indeed did)? The BG engineer suggested the emergency engineers are ultra cautious and will shut down a meter at the slightest hint (in our case possibly the original paraffin smell).

true enough.

Mention gas related smell to an emergency chap and the first thing they do is shut it off.

If they're National grid it has cost you nothing thus far. If it was an independent they will then fleece you for as much as they can (normally).

It was the national grid engineer, and although they don't charge, I can't say it didn't cost me anything as I have now paid BG to tell me there is no leak!

The grid engineer only shut the meter off after testing and positively determining there was a leak. I'm puzzled how you can get two such different readings within such a short space of time!

Did either engineers do a proper tightness test with a U-gauge?

That is the only real method of testing.

If there were two different readings it helps to know what they were.

I have (embarrassingly) spent ages looking for a leak for it only to be the hose end of my gauge being too stretched and causing the pressure drop (yes I know you're supposed to check with LDF before anyone pipes up :LOL:).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back