Gas meter in the kitchen, can these be moved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for my question..

I have just started stripping out the kitchen on a house I have bought.. In the corner of the room on the floor there is a "box" and inside it is the gas meter/valve/regulator thing.. The house was built in 1956 and it looks like the meter has been there about that long.. The whole device is about 300mm high, 300mm deep and 400mm wide..

So just wondering if these things can easily be relocated to a box on the outside of the building or is that a major exercise? Am I just going to have to deal with it being there and loose the bottom half of the cupboard in that corner??

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
yes you can get it move but dont expect much change below £700
only transco or there agents can do the work
actual cost depends on what is actually involved

Hi all,

Just box it in, leaving clearances for service and access to the ECV. Moving meters is a costly affair. If you want it moved outside, depending which utility company you are with, you could see a bill from £700-1800 on your front mat :)

Thanks.. That answers that.. Certainly not worth ~£1000 for the sake of half a cupboard.. :)

How much clearance would be needed for any servicing?

Sponsored Links
your shelf can be within an inch as long as the shelve lifts out

just make sure the isolation vale can be fully closed to 90% to the pipe

just make sure the isolation vale can be fully closed to 90% to the pipe

Will do.. I didn't notice an isolation valve but I am sure there must be one.. It was getting dark last night when I discovered it.. Will be back next week to carry on stripping it out so will have another look..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back