Gas meter move from lean to...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hie,

My gas meter in the lean-to. Can we move it to the outside of the house. Does the plumber do that or Gas board? Aprox cost? Is it even possible?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
I don't know if your proposed position is acceptable. More detail may be needed, but assuming it will be OK you'll need to coordinate three different contractors, Builder (to provide the new meter box), National Grid (I think, to reposition your pipe), then finally your energy supplier (to reconnect your new meter).

It's not a quick process so be prepared for a long drawn out process.
Although usually the new meter is connected the same day as the pipe is repositioned.
First point of call is The National Grid, I believe, ours was at Lakeside House in Northampton.They'll provide a step bt step guide.
It may depend on where you live as to where your National Grid is located.

Costs I had a few years ago was:
Move the pipe 0-2 metres = £454,
2-6 meters = £562,
6-10 meters = £703,
10-15 metres = £857,
15-20 metres = £1028.

These do not include the cost of the new meter box.

Many thanks RedHerring2. Am looking up National Grid for my area now. :)

Upon speaking with National Grid have decided we are better off just putting a cabinet over gasmeter rather than try to move it. Infinitely cheaper!

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
My gas meter in the lean-to. Can we move it to the outside of the house.

Is the lean to enclosed? Does the gas main run underground to the meter?

If the answer to both questions is yes you have a potentially explosive and dangerous situation.

i work for national grid and my job involves laying/moving/replacing gas pipes.

pity i don't live near you!!!!

your not allowed to build over gas pipes i.e extensions garages etc but a lean too may be ok unless its enclosed (it then forms an enclosed area for gas to build up in the event of a leak)

if you want it moved.....
I'm pretty sure you can get it moved for around £250 if you dig a trench yourself to where you want the new meter position, also, you only need to dig within 1metre of where you think the gas pipe currently is. this does also involve you paying a gas safe plumber to reconnect your metre and copper internal pipes (usually only a couple of hours work and the copper can be done beforehand to make it even easier)

i think the wait for this work round most area's is usually between 8-12 weeks but may be quicker now as there are less leaks for national grid to deal with (winter = more leaks)

also - the trench they will ask you to dig is about 550mm deep but you'll get away with 400mm, and it only needs to be narrow (100mm is fine)

Pardon my denseness here but when you say enclosed do you mean in a walled space that has a roof?.....will try to get a picture :(

yes, i forgot to mention that only the newer yellow plastic (PE) pipe is not allowed to be built over/enclosed, old steel pipes are fine though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back