gas meter moved, now earth in wrong place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who is responsible for making good?

About 2 years ago, I sorted my MILs earthing out, she had none...
now, about 3 months ago apparently, they had a new gas meter, an at the same time, for whatever reason, they moved the meter, the live gas main came in at one side of the garage, up and over with the meter on the other (house side) wall.
now, presumably for safety, they have moved the meter to the other wall, so the is only about 2' of supplier pipe before the meter.
Now, the earth is about 4m too short.

should the gas lot have sorted this, rather than just a slip of card on the meter ppointing out thee is no earth connection, they didn.t eve re-instate the old connection, which would have been better than nothing, just left it hanging.

Wouldnt mind so much, but the gas incoming is on the opposite side of the house to the electric, a long run.

Sponsored Links
Yep a crimp will be fine.

I don't know exactly who is responsible, but I'd imagine the gas company should have orted it out or at least made arrangements for it to be sorted.

Yep a crimp will be fine.
Given my non-love of crimped joints and my fairly pragmatic attitude to primary bonding, I think what I would probably do would be to strip off some insulation a foot or so from the end of the present cable, bond that to the pipe where it met it, then crimp the end of that cable to a new bit, which could then run alongside the pipe back to a point within 600mm of the meter- to keep the purists and BS7671 happy!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that the company changing the gas meter should surely make good on the bonding as well.

I just recently changed to a metered water supply, and due to the haphazard supply arrangements here Anglian Water decided to fit the meter internally. I was pleased to see that the guys who turned up to do the job brought in cable and clamps to take care of the bonding - Although I was somewhat less pleased when I checked it afterward and found two clamps not secured properly.

Stark staring bonkers.
I presume that refers to what I wrote:)

Assuming the pipework was copper, I would personally be comfortable with simply bonding the end of the existing cable to the pipe where it met it - seemingly about 4 metres from the meter. However, becausue of the purists, I would be prepared to pay lip service to the regs by running that 'silly' additional length of G/Y alongside the copper pipe for 3-4m and the reconnecting to the pipe within 600mm of the meter - one might well argue that to be 'stark staring bonkers' :)

Kind Regards, John.

I just recently changed to a metered water supply, and due to the haphazard supply arrangements here Anglian Water decided to fit the meter internally. I was pleased to see that the guys who turned up to do the job brought in cable and clamps to take care of the bonding ....
I've discussed my water meter before. For similar reasons to Paul's, mine was fitted internally. The body and visible pipe connections of the meter are all palstic, but I don't know whether there is any electrical continuity across it internally. Anyway, the chap whp fitted it (within inches of where the supply enters my property) preserved the 10mm² MPB which had been connected to the pipe about 500mm within the property and added a 4mm² strap across the meter.

To my mind, quite apart from it's CSA, this 4mm² strap has the capacity to do more harm than good. If there is continuity through the meter, then the strap is redundant. If there is no continuity, then this 'plastic insert' would actually be protecting (insulating) my property from what becomes an extraneous-conductive-part when the strap is present.

Kind Regards, John.

Assuming the pipework was copper, I would personally be comfortable with simply bonding the end of the existing cable to the pipe where it met it - seemingly about 4 metres from the meter.

A reasonable approach in the spirit of the old requirement to make the connection "as near as practicable" to the point of entry but without specifying any maximum distance explicitly. If that single length of pipe between where it enters the house and where the bonding clamp is attached is unlikely to ever be disturbed without it being noticed that there's a bonding connection there, I don't see a problem with that.

A reasonable approach in the spirit of the old requirement to make the connection "as near as practicable" to the point of entry but without specifying any maximum distance explicitly. If that single length of pipe between where it enters the house and where the bonding clamp is attached is unlikely to ever be disturbed without it being noticed that there's a bonding connection there, I don't see a problem with that.
...particularly in the OP's situation, since the 3-4m of pipe between MPB connection and meter is in a garage (quite possibly with no electricity in it) and hence before the pipe enters the house proper. Also, unlike the case with water pipes, one imagines it incredibly unlikley that the length of gas pipe in question would ever be cut.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back