Gas meter problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my friend is currently sitting in her house with a cold and with no heating, as when they put the newly topped up card back in the prepayment meter it wouldnt work. que call to the gas company who sent out a new card that still wont work.

Has anyone got any ideas on common problems/how to get it to work or reset the meter.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, phone the supplier and explain the problem.

tomtom82 said:
Has anyone got any ideas on common problems/how to get it to work or reset the meter.

Try this
1. Remove card and hold red button in until you hear the beep.

2. After beep, keep pressing red button until you reach display 24 (see bottom right corner of display).

3. Reinsert the card and press the red button again until you reach display 27, this should show you the amount of debt/credit and restart.

If no good ring Transco and they'll talk you through it.

0800 111 999

thank you for your advice it is much appreciated. its still not working but fingers crossed someone will be out next week to sort it.

Sponsored Links
Is there a message on the display saying 'call help'? If so you may have knocked it and the anti tamper has kicked in. If so call Transco it is a 4 hour call out for this, or maybe this is what baxpoti has told you how to reset above.

Don't think you can reset a "tilt" state yourself. You have to call your gas supplier (who you'd pay your bills to if you did, but you don't because you have a token meter..) for what iirc is called the Meter Point Number. Then you can call Transco/National Grid and wait half a day...

Complete and utter pointless pain in the bum.

ChrisR is right
Any 'tilt' or tamper sensor can only be reset by your supplier.
When you had your new card, did you put credit on it straight away or did you put it in the meter for 30 seconds first?
Its important that the card is registered to your meter by doing this BEFORE you put any credit on.
Going through the screens as mentioned above is only for information purposes, there's nothing that can be done or reset without the master card that the engineer will have.
You might need yet another card if this is the case

ChrisR . Out of order not everyone who has a ETM is in debt about half the people use it as a method to budget.. Garthgas card can have credit on it before it goes in to meter as some used to be sent out wth a credit already o them. As long s it is put into the correct meter first there will be no problems.
Call help does not only come on screen for a tamper it also comes on for a battery fault.

Also ETM`s are now into second generation and screens and resets are different

ChrisR said:
Don't think you can reset a "tilt" state yourself. You have to call your gas supplier (who you'd pay your bills to if you did, but you don't because you have a token meter..) for what iirc is called the Meter Point Number. Then you can call Transco/National Grid and wait half a day...

Complete and utter pointless pain in the bum.

And the Quantum meters are quite unreliable, I had a guy round to one job he went through three meters before he found a good one. Said it was common they don't even work from new.

Namsag said:
Garthgas card can have credit on it before it goes in to meter as some used to be sent out wth a credit already o them. As long s it is put into the correct meter first there will be no problems.

Erm...thats exactly what I said. The fact that it may/may not have money on it is irrelevant, it must be registered in the meter before going to the shop for a top up.
I agree that the procedures are slightly different on the 'ironbridge' meters but thats a matter for the engineer, the customer will not be involved in any of that.
Actually, I know a few engineers that shouldn't be involved either

The new (smaller) etms are quite good,but its like watching paint dry when trying to set them up on a new install,very slow,ive fitted loads and had very few problems.
The old mechanical etms are a pain in the butt,you only have to fart next to one and they shut off.

It may be worth me mentioning that BG had a load of faulty cards that were sent out,even from new they didnt work,i dont know who OPs supplier is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back