Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, technically more of a Gas question than plumbing but seems like most posts relating to Gas are in this section.

The door on my plastic gas meter box has broken off. My understanding is that it is my responsibility to deal with the box. It is surface mounted not recessed.

Found a new box, not many places sold them. I was told it was a standard size and the only one they had.

My meter wont fit inside my new box. This is largely due to the pipework which has not been done very tightly therefore the whole unit takes up more space than is necessary.

Gas company said Id have to pay to have someone come and look at it and do any pipework alterations.

QUESTION : Is there anything I can say to the gas company (who my understanding is own the meter) to get them to come and tidy up the pipework so it fits in my box for free? OR is there anything I can say to them to get them to come and fit a new meter (this one is quite old) which would then be smaller and fit inside my new box.

Or am I stuck having to build a bigger box or pay for the work?

Thanks everyone

Chris

PS I am in no way considering doing the gas work myself or touching the gas supply or pipes. I know the regs and would not mess with gas.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

As you say the box is yours. If its just the door/ hinges/lock you can get these seperatly :idea:

As for the pipework if its the outlet pipework - RHS of meter - then this is also yours, you would have to get this altered at your cost.

A new meter is not necessarily smaller ie U6 is same size as G4
If you go for prepayment meter ETX6 then this smaller.

Hiya

Thanks for reply

Plastic box is totally broken, left unlocked and the wind caught it and snapped the door clean off. Was in poor nick anyway so was thankful at opportunity to replace.

The pipe is the one coming out of the top of the meter then goes up (too far) before bending left (too far) before bending down and going into the house.
So yes it is the pipe coming out.

I just thought if I could get them to give me a new meter then I could make sure the guy fitting it made the pipework tight enough to fit the box.

Might need to simply search for a bigger box then.

Sponsored Links
I just thought if I could get them to give me a new meter then I could make sure the guy fitting it made the pipework tight enough to fit the box.

The cr@p thing here is even if you got a new smaller meter the gas company would not do anything to the outgoing pipe only the incoming, its your pipe your property, they could do it for you but the cost is out of this world, pick a number that you think BG would charge you and times by 10..........it sounds like its a small job so it shold not cost that much for a RGI

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the shipper/transporter/MAM has the right to refuse to exchange the meter if the meter box has no door or is in a poor state of repair.
So unless the box is repaired you may find they won't change it anyway..... The transporter can sort it all out for you.... if its a built in flush meter box the service can need moving slightly, NOT a job for an RGI but someone with the GNO passport and authorisation from the transporter.
Find your transporter and give them a ring.

M.A.M.s can and do alter outlet pipework to fit the meter- but hate doing it.
I would ask for a meter swap ( might ask why) and make the RGI plenty of drinks and a bacon butty. He/she may do it dpending on time and workload.

There is not a hope in hell the MAM would exchange the meter just because the box is damaged. If there is nothing wrong with the meter then it WILL NOT BE CHANGED!!! yes they can alter outlet pipework, but again the point goes back to.... the meter box is damaged, the MAM can refuse to exchange the meter, be this now or in the future, if it would mean leaving the meter prone to the elements/damage.

The meter can be exchanged if the box is in good condition but NOT just because you ask for it to be changed! whats next? People don't like the gun metal grey ones and ask for a more asthetically pleasing white one??

I did not say they would change it if asked 'cos the box is broken.
I agree the meter will not be changed if still in its servicable life, and not fit if the meter is open to the elements.
But they will if the OP wants to go from a credit meter to a pre-pay or vice versa

Not if the box is open to the elements they wont!!! regardless if the OP wants to go from credit to pre-pay... Job would be cancelled and the customer advised to have the box repaired before any exchange would be carried out.
You will find this is even the case where an ETM is faulty and requires replacement. no box, no exchange - hence no gas.

Why would they put any new meter in regardless of the circumstance if it was just going to be blasted by the elements?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back