Searching for a new gas meter box...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter box is looking very tired - to say the least - and I am looking for an exact replacement.

The internet has thrown up a number of similar but different boxes.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these...

Many thanks,

3950-Gas-Meter-Box-Open.JPG

3894-Gas-Meter-Box-Closed.JPG

Sponsored Links
if it got a whack with a lump hammer ring Transco an tell them vandals did it , free replacement ,
hope this helps ;)

www.BES.ltd.uk do them, but the box is the property of the gas supplier/transporter so perhaps you should ask them to sort it. You might also want to consider a semi-concealed version, buried in the ground or recessed in the wall. Much more attractive, although you'd have to pay for the pipes to be adjusted to it.

I expect that a good scrub would be very effective at cleaning it.

If you end with bleach it may help to delay the algae problem you seem to have.

You dont have a defective gutter do you?

Tony

Sponsored Links
as said if someone broke that side of the box facing you ,that is the outer box that lifts off from the bottom ,but should be screwed at bottom if not (as always !)it can be removed an you examine where yobs jumped an damaged it , Be aware the gas meter is there inside an gas service pipework ,

your gas supplier WILL give you an option of a FREE replacement or semi underground brown meter casing

Just take off the whole cover by releasing the plastic push in clips. The backplate stays on the wall. Then take it down the jetwash for a cleanup.

Thanks for the replies.

What does it normally cost (in London) to have the meter put in the ground?

I'm going to give the jetwash idea a run, and if that fails, to give Transco/British Gas a call. I'm flabagasted at what the Yoof of today will get upto. Vandalising innocent homeowners meter boxes eh. Really.

meter box is your property not your gas providers.i have asked transco to fix their broken boxes but they reply as it is fitted to your property it is now your property.you may have more luck.
just clean it up it looks beyond jetwash. clean with bleach,sand it down and paint it,a lot cheaper.

meter box is your property

what an utter complete cretin of A JOKE , I WILL TALK SHI SHI .....URGH
we get GOOD guys trying to help ...........its a SHI SHI that ...

Moz said:
meter box is your property

what an utter complete cretin of A JOKE , I WILL TALK SHI SHI .....URGH
we get GOOD guys trying to help ...........its a SHI SHI that ...

sprry moz but the meter box is the property on the gas user

try calling transco for a new one :)

I called British Gas.

They said it was my responsibility.

Where do I get them? They suggested B&Q??
I now know that they don't (or have never) stocked them.

Anyway, I located one at Jewsons. So all sorted now.

Cheers all.

Jet washing will do little to help unfortunately.
What these boxes suffer from is osmosis. Curable on a boat yes but not on such a flimsy piece of plastic ( GRP actually)
Get in touch with Transco, pay them & collect the outer box yourself is the only practical way.
Hope this helps
Garethgas

Hi Tony,
Just noticed your comment about guttering...its because guttering is plastic & these boxes are GRP ....osmosis city.
They've been out for years & STILL no one's thought to sort it out.
Garethgas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back