gas or oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have an old gas boiler providing my home with central heating. The boiler is old and the house has been extended and the heat produced just isn't enough. We aren't - and aren't likely to be on piped gas - so have to use a gas tank that we pay maintenance of £15 a quarter and are then tied in to Calor gas as our sole supplier. As the boiler is ripe for replacement we have to decide whether to stay with gas or convert to oil. Neighbours have gone with oil but when I ask them why or what reasons they had they don't seem to have any hard facts to share. I would like to know if there is a simple equation that will tell me which is the most a) cost effective b) "green" c) easily maintained d) reliable and finally e) durable method of home heating. Just gas or oil though - I'll leave the renewables for another post ;)
thanks in advance, Brian

Sponsored Links
When you're away from mains gas and reliant on oil or lpg is the only time it makes sense to use ground source or air source heat pumps. There may be grants available to help with the installation.

1 Find out what size boiler you need

2 Work out the gas consumption for a gas boiler and the oil consumption for an oil boiler

3 Check out gas and oil costs, gas you already know, oil will be available from a number of suppliers in your area (always get several prices before ordering oil!)

4 Compare fuel costs

5 Decide

The different costs of gas or oil boilers themselves are largely irrelevant as it is the cost of the fuel that will determine which you choose.

Sponsored Links
Gas is cleaner, quieter and more enviromentally friendly.

Gas boilers are cheaper to buy, service and repair. They also tend to be a lot smaller.

As for running costs, I don't think there is much in it these days, oil may be slightly cheaper to buy at present and I think Calor are an awkward company to deal with.

thanks, for the replies esp Dave. I was hoping oil would turn out to be cheaper as the gas bills are serious but hopefully a more efficient boiler will make a difference.
cheers, Brian

http://www.shvgas.com/News/12/Calor_Gas_to_target_rural_buildings_with_fuel_cell_CHP_system

It's 3 years before the launch but think I might place my order now unless there's a catch.
British gas estimate these new home power station machines will set you back between £2,500 and £3,000 -- bringing them roughly in line with solar water heating, which usually costs around £3,000 to install.
interesting reading - thanks for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back