Gas Pipe beneath Beam and Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my new build, the ground floor construction is beam and block with a void below, vented as usual to the outside via air bricks. The Gas meter will be at one side of the house, and at the other side, 20 meters away will be the gas boiler. Whilst I have access to under the house, is it possible within building regs to lay a (say 20mm) yellow MDPE pipe to use for gas. If it is one continuous run, my hope is that the gas Safe installer of the plumbing will be happy to sign it off...I'm aware they could refuse. My question though is does anyone know if this is likely to be OK with building control ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
With a 20 m run after the meter, 20 mm pipework may be undersized depending on what your installing in the way of gas appliances. You need to talk to and agree with your GasSafe engineer what is needed. I'd be surprised if you could find a GS engineer happy to sign off unseen MDPE under a building.

thanks for the reply, are you suggesting it is possible then (subject to sizing and the gas safe engineer being happy) - I just wanted to know really if it's within building regs or if the pipe needs to be buried under earth as I'm struggling to find guidance on it ? If it's likely to be possible then I'll contact a gas safe engineer (likely the one I'll use) to pop by and check he's happy with it.

Sponsored Links
I'd go round the outside you don't want a gas pipe in the void if it gets a pinhole you could end up in a world of hurt.Bob

I'd go round the outside you don't want a gas pipe in the void if it gets a pinhole you could end up in a world of hurt.Bob
Thanks for your info bob, going round the outside is feasible, just is a lot more work... but thanks for expanding on why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back