gas pipe in a stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have studded one wall of my kitchen to hide rad pipes and to save sinking the surface mount boxes for the sockets.
the gas pipe to the hob is on that wall and will be in the partition.
do I need to drill any "ventilation" holes into the bottom of the wall in case the pipe leaks? ( would be behind units and not seen.. )
the cavity will also have the sockets and cooker switch in it so possible source of spark.. ( unlikely )

Sponsored Links
You should not really place a gas pipe in the same cavity as electrical cables.

If there are any joints in the pipe, must only be soldered too, then you should put a vent at the bottom and at the top!

Many dont bother though!

Tony

joints are all soldered, except the elbow on the wall where the pipe comes out through the platerboard..

Sponsored Links
he means no compression fittings that are not accesible...

Agile where does it say no cables in same cavity (duct) as gas pipe????

the above item is solder/screw not compression fitting and would be acceptable so long as you can access the screw thread without removal of plasterboard. it is a common way of fitting the hob/cooker bayonet.

never said it was a compression joint, just that it wasn't soldered, or more specifically the bit of pipe screwed into it isn't..

as it's just a gas hob, the plumber I've got coming said it has to be a hard line, not flexible.. so would he be ok using that as there is already a piece of coper pipe screwed into it ( presumably with a male thread soldered onto the end of it.. )

yes perfectly ok use a 1/2"/15mm straight connector and then use a reducer if 12,10 or 8mm required
hobs can only be fitted with a flexible hose if the manufacturers instructions say it is ok otherwise rigid pipe must be used.

the rules only prohibit compression fittings that are concealed.

he means no compression fittings that are not accessible...

Agile where does it say no cables in same cavity (duct) as gas pipe????

It's in essential gas safety, or should I say was.

Should the gas pipe have studding/ sealant either side of it behind the plasterboard to isolate it from the rest of the void?

Have you been cheating by reading Scruff's Essential Gas Safety?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back