gas pipe in a stud wall?

Should the gas pipe have studding/ sealant either side of it behind the plasterboard to isolate it from the rest of the void?

I don't understand the question, please clarify..

the pipe is fixed to the brick wall.. the wall is studded out because I couldn't be bothered with sinking the sockets and cooker point into it ( it's very hard brick ), and it also hides the gas and radiator pipes.

Sponsored Links
Should the gas pipe have studding/ sealant either side of it behind the plasterboard to isolate it from the rest of the void?

I don't understand the question, please clarify..
Think he means that any cables running behind should be located within a separate pair of studs and not the same one as the gas pipe, thus completely sealed away from each other to prevent a spark igniting gas within the void, or any such "explosion" from damaging the cables :rolleyes:

Suppose if that's not now possible, you could use that expensive fire rated mineral copper plated cable you told me about recently for my log cabin. Touche ;)

The gas pipe should be enclosed by timber battens sealed to prevent a gas escape from dispersing behind the plasterboard, either that or ventilate the void at high and low level. Looks a bit late in the day now thuogh... :confused:

I am surprised some regulars have forgotten the Gas Safety Regulations when they accept that pipe can be enclosed in behind a stud wall which now becomes unventilated cavity. See PartD 19

To have a gas line enclosed behind a stud, be it a compression fitting or a gas fitting (not a water fitting- wonder what that is) clrearly, as far as I am concerned, is to be avoided.

Sponsored Links
will have holed into the loft for the cables, can drill a few extra ones for air, and will put a hole in the bottom of the void for air flow..

will have holed into the loft for the cables, can drill a few extra ones for air, and will put a hole in the bottom of the void for air flow..
I suppose that since that hole in the wall is below counter level, you could open it up for easy access, possible even cutting it open down to the floor.. This idea may create a widespread outbreak of rapturous onanism by some of the RGIs on here :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This idea may create a widespread outbreak of rapturous onanism by some of the RGIs on here

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"onanism"

1. the practice of preejaculatory withdrawal during intercourse.

I prefer the reference :
In the Biblical Book of Genesis, Onan (Hebrew: אוֹנָן, Modern Onan Tiberian ʾװnān ; Strong) was the second son of Judah.[1] Certain interpretations of the narrative concerning him have led to the use of the term onanism to refer to masturbation ;)

The ventilation requirements will no doubt be defined somewhere so I guess could be complicated to work out by the book.... ;)

Some of the hilarious reponses from fitters on here kill me! `running a gas pipe in a studded wall cavity is to be avoided` tell that to all the new build installs, by the way you better start ripping out all the gas pipes that run across bedrooms in between floorboards and down to the kitchen/living room area don`t forget to vent the floorboards? FFS :rolleyes:

Legion, if you want to run gas through a drinking straw, that is not a problem. It is not a problem until an incidence takes place. Building control or Health and Safety might or might not be aware of shortfalls on a building site. If there is an incidence, no doubt about it, the last person resposible will certainly loose his head.

Following section is cut and pasted from Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations. I hope it tickles your funny bone.

Enclosed pipes
19.—(1) A person shall not install any part of any installation pipework in a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction unless it is so constructed and installed as to be protected against failure caused by the movement of the wall, the floor or the standing as the case may be.

(2) A person shall not install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction from one side to the other unless any part of the pipe within such wall, floor or standing as the case may be—
(a) takes the shortest practicable route; and
(b) is enclosed in a gastight sleeve and the pipe and the sleeve are so constructed and installed as to prevent, as far as is reasonably practicable having regard to paragraph (1), gas passing along any space between the pipe and the sleeve or between the sleeve and such a wall, floor or standing as the case may be.

(3) A person shall not install any part of any installation pipework in the cavity of a cavity wall unless the pipe is to pass through the wall from one side to the other.

(4) A person shall not install any installation pipework or any service pipework under the foundations of a building or in the ground under the base of a wall or footings unless adequate steps are taken to prevent damage to the installation pipework or service pipework in the event of the movement of those structures or the ground.

(5) Where any installation pipework is not itself contained in a ventilated duct, a person shall not install such installation pipework in any shaft, duct or void which is not adequately ventilated.

Some of the hilarious reponses from fitters on here kill me! `running a gas pipe in a studded wall cavity is to be avoided` tell that to all the new build installs, by the way you better start ripping out all the gas pipes that run across bedrooms in between floorboards and down to the kitchen/living room area don`t forget to vent the floorboards? FFS :rolleyes:
The powers that be consider that t&g floorboards offer sufficient adventitious ventilation to disperse a gas escape should one occur, you can only work to guidance offered by those in the know. As regards installations in new builds with studded walls then guidance is readily available.

The powers that be consider that t&g floorboards offer sufficient adventitious ventilation to disperse a gas escape should one occur, you can only work to guidance offered by those in the know.

Powers that be probably haven`t been to many houses with wall to wall chipboard flooring upstairs then. Nor have they been too many new builds. Spouting Regs is easy, having experience is different.

Hmmm...good point on chipboard slab flooring legion...but then those required by law to follow regs have to do so.......unlike yourself as a diyer who can get away with it cause it won't get noticed.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back