Gas pipe on kitchen wall?> No!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are having a completely new kitchen fitted and we wanted all the pipes hidden in the walls. We want the boiler fitted near the window in a standard kitchen cabinet so it matches and is uniform.

Our gas feed comes out of the back wall in the rear of the property and is fed into the 1st floor room between the joists into the kitchen.

We are having a B&Q kitchen fitted and the designers said that the below cabinet will be able to fit the boiler. Cabinet size 500w x 720h 335d we thought that we would go for the ideal logic + sized at 395w 700h 278d

Now if you look at the template i asked ideal to send me (which they did) - I wanted to ensure that it will actually fit the boiler. But the boiler man i spoke to said the gas pipe must be visible at the wall. We wanted all pipes chased into the wall.

If you see the picture I've measured everything to ensure everything fits. You'll see the black lines which indicate the cabinet height, but at 20mm clearance will the pipes going into the boiler be seen under the cabinet or will they be in the cabinet. It means we'll have to have an ugly pipe boxed in from the top...?

What do I do to ensure everything is flush from the start? Am i missing something? Any Q's let me know. Thanks.

bolier template.jpg

kicthen.jpg

Sponsored Links
The base of the unit would need to be cut out anyway for servicing clearances.
Anyone got any pictures as I'm at a loss on this one. This has thrown a spanner in the works I think. Our pipes all go up the kitchen wall including the gas pipe into the ceiling that's how it is in this house. Any small boilers out there I really want all pipe work connections etc in the cupboard itself.

Sponsored Links
Have a read of the servicing instructions for min clearances top and bottom of appliance.
Really grates my cheese when there is no thought for future servicing and repairs. Kitchen fitters/designers are the gas mans nemesis.

Even on the template it is clear that pipes come out of the boiler downwards!

Most boilers need a space of 200 mm underneath for servicing. But this can be obtained by a removable panel.

If this is an outside wall then in theory the gas pipe can be outside and come through the wall just under the boiler.

But to me pipes on an outside wall are also unsightly.

Tony

I have a Johnson and Starley Reno 16 boiler which has flow and return connections at the top of the boiler. Gas at the bottom. ( heat only so no water connections )

370 mm wide ( 5 mm clearance required both sides )
647 mm high ( 200 mm desired workable clearance underneath but can be reduced )
310 mm deep ( 400 mm clearance in front required for service access )

Some people here do not have a good word to say about J & S but mine has not been any trouble and seems to be very efficient ( based on comfort versus gas bill )

Have the fitters make the cabinet removable. Instead of wooden dowels and cams then use internal L brackets that allow the cabinets sides, bottom etc to be removed. You won't really get away without lower clearance to be practical but again a section could be made to cover that up and be removable. If the clearances are too tight then you may find that engineers in the future may refuse to service due to little or no access.

You could then use a stand off jig so the pipes can be routed out and up. Then use a box section matching the cabinets to hide it above. may not be your ideal but compromises may be needed to achieve what you want.
Ideal211101CombiStandOffKitIncludingUpwardPiping-600x600.jpg

I have a Johnson and Starley Reno 16 boiler which has flow and return connections at the top of the boiler. Gas at the bottom. ( heat only so no water connections )

370 mm wide ( 5 mm clearance required both sides )
647 mm high ( 200 mm desired workable clearance underneath but can be reduced )
310 mm deep ( 400 mm clearance in front required for service access )

Some people here do not have a good word to say about J & S but mine has not been any trouble and seems to be very efficient ( based on comfort versus gas bill )
No one at anytime on this post asked you about your fantastic boiler, why do you feel the need to advertise it in every post, if they were that good they wouldn't need Googlers to advertise them

OP: could you put the boiler in the loft perhaps? All your space issues in the kitchen would then be resolved.

Whats with the aggressiveness on this forum??

I notice that @bernardgreen and @Agile get jumped on by 5 or 6 regulars every time they post.

What I find particularly distasteful is that they are probably of a similar age range as most of your fathers, yet you show no respect.

It's nothing more than cyber bullying that's tolerated because it's done by a group of you.

Mods should act but are obviously scared of the backlash from the group.

This may ruffle a few feathers because I'm not a regular, but this has been going on for too long (obvious to everyone) and I couldnt bite my tongue any longer.

Wind yer neck in lads and show some respect.

lemon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back