Gas Pipe Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I managed to puncture a 22mm gas pipe, dead centre with a picture hook nail. Obviously therefore only a very small hole.
Having phoned the emergency number, and then got a registered gas safe engineer from their list of contacts, I'm rather surprised at the repair. This appears to be just soldered, no piece cut out, and as I haven't yet replaced the plasterboard, I want to confirm that this is a safe and acceptable repair.
I'm assuming it is, but have no record as paid cash, not to get it cheap, just we had the sum in the house and neither of us have a cheque book these days.
As stated, used a registered gas safety engineer, but we don't really have any confirmation in writing of the repair.
Any comments on whether this is ok please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan. Not sure how to upload photo, but thats hardly put my mind at ease.

Sponsored Links
From your phone, click the upload button under this post, then take a picture - it'll save it to the thread.

There are a number of "how to's" on the forum.

No worries. Have managed to contact our usual heating engineer, who is coming round Tuesday am to do a proper job. Thing is one panics at the time and wants the repair done asap. Our normal Boiler Service engineer, actually knows the other guy, was at school with him, and can't believe the work done. Basically has even advised us to switch the gas off until Tuesday morning as he reckons it's dreadful. Only going to be around £60 for a proper job, which lets be honest the first guy should have done. Looks like four days of washing using the kettle, microwaved food, and the for show wall electric fire may actually get some use if it gets cold.
Thanks for all the replies and help, which basically confirmed my own worries.

Photo hopefully
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG

Yes I know I should but for the sake of £35, and the fact that I wouldn't trust him now to do it right, no thanks. Typical British no hassle, wimpy attitude I know, but so be it.

You should report that to Gas Safe, that's not on. Be a shame to leave it unreported then read in the paper that his work has killed someone. Needs pulling up before it's too late

Agree with the others , report it , if he believes that standard of work is acceptable he needs teaching before he does something more serious, I have seen that done a few times they call it solder patching, the solder could fall out at any time

Agree with the others , report it , if he believes that standard of work is acceptable he needs teaching before he does something more serious, I have seen that done a few times they call it solder patching, the solder could fall out at any time
Totally wrong way to repair copper pipe and needs doing correctly.....But...
It was common to wipe a patch on lead pipes years ago.
What makes you think it might "Fall off" ??

Phone your lead free solder welder operative and ask for a receipt for the works he carried out,saying its going through an insurance claim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back