Gas pipe sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I need to upgrade my gas supply pipe from 22mm to 28mm for approx 8 mtrs from the meter before reducing back to 22mm. If the first few inches of supply pipe from the meter are in 22mm would this cause a bottle neck restriction i.e. 22mm-->28mm-->22mm?

TIA J

Sponsored Links
My god, why can't people just answer a simple question instead of constantly giving stupid comments?

Who said anything about doing it myself?

i would say you wouldn't get the full benefit of the 28mm pipe if the meter tail is still 22mm but it will be better than what you have, i suppose it depends on how difficult it is to go right to the meter, perhaps the ppe is through a wall etc etc, but given that you will have upheavel to change the pipe run i would suggest a 1" x 28mm meter tail and then you know you will have full bore

Sponsored Links
My god, why can't people just answer a simple question instead of constantly giving stupid comments?

My comments were appropriate to a stupid question!!

Does your installer not know the answer??

Hello All,

I need to upgrade my gas supply pipe from 22mm to 28mm for approx 8 mtrs from the meter before reducing back to 22mm. If the first few inches of supply pipe from the meter are in 22mm would this cause a bottle neck restriction i.e. 22mm-->28mm-->22mm?

TIA J

Have 28mm back to the meter outlet.

Transco would only have 3/4" inlets yet the installer would have 28mm from the outlet. I recommend replacing the flex inlet with a 1" if possible. Available from http://www.bes.co.uk

Transco would only have 3/4" inlets yet the installer would have 28mm from the outlet. I recommend replacing the flex inlet with a 1" if possible. Available from http://www.bes.co.uk

The above statement proves your total lack of knowledge of the situation !!
You should not be giving advice on subjects that you have no understanding of!!
Stick to posting your googled knowledge of thermal stores!!

Hello All,

TIA J

No, it will make no difference the first few inches being 22mm.

The point of using 28mm on many boilers is to reduce pressure drop between the meter and the appliance.. This pressure drop is caused by long runs of pipe, elbows and bends... the larger the pipe, the less resistance. Unless you have a very large boiler you will find that the inlet on the boiler will be in 22mm so using a 28 mm tail on the meter may give you no advantage. It's a bit like using 6mm2 Twin and earth cable in an unusually long cable run to reduce voltage drop when most DIYers would use 2.5.

The point of using 28mm on many boilers is to reduce pressure drop between the meter and the appliance.. This pressure drop is caused by long runs of pipe, elbows and bends... the larger the pipe, the less resistance. Unless you have a very large boiler you will find that the inlet on the boiler will be in 22mm so using a 28 mm tail on the meter may give you no advantage. It's a bit like using 6mm2 Twin and earth cable in an unusually long cable run to reduce voltage drop when most DIYers would use 2.5.

Errr.. I think the number of appliances fed from the gas supply will affect the overall size of the main & also the distance from the meter. It`s called pipe sizing. If you have an inordinately large number of appliances your pipe size may well be in 28mm reducing to 22mm, 15mm then 8mm for gas fires. ;)

Corgigrough, you might want to edit that last statement, I know what you mean but your wide open for a roasting from Dr D if he sees it.

Corgigrough, you might want to edit that last statement, I know what you mean but your wide open for a roasting from Dr D if he sees it.

LOL a bit late for that but what the hell.. I wasn't aware that 28mm pipes exploded too ;)

Bamber, you are of course right but since the OP didn't mention any other appliances I felt that for the purpose of the exercise my explanation would suffice.. Since this was an explanation only.. His Gas man, I expect would do the pipe work as is required :)

3m of 22 will deliver 8.7 m3/hr, well above an U6 meter capacity, as is 8m of 28mm 9m3/hr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back