Gas pipe sizing

Sponsored Links
3m of 22 will deliver 8.7 m3/hr, well above an U6 meter capacity, as is 8m of 28mm 9m3/hr

Err. Thanks for that. Is there a point?

There is if you read the OPs question and some of the rubbish that follewed.

How come your out on bail again.

22mm tail to a 28mm won`t make a difference, I agree with you, I don`t see why you are having a pop at me? If you mean why am I back on the Forum it`s because I could see how much I was desperately missed, & the only time that you & the other Muppets make an appearance. ;)

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it was the tone of your previous post.

Completely pointless

About as pointless as you waffling on about how much gas 3m of pipe will deliver, as I said apart from stating facts known to every fitter on the planet what was your point :rolleyes:

Perhaps it was the tone of your previous post.

Completely pointless

About as pointless as you waffling on about how much gas 3m of pipe will deliver, as I said apart from stating facts known to every fitter on the planet what was your point :rolleyes:

Put it another way that you may understand.

It's none of your dam business what I post, it was intended for the OP.

Put it another way that you may understand.

It's none of your dam business what I post, it was intended for the OP.

I see, I`m sure he will appreciate the volume of gas a 22mm/28mm pipe will carry, obvious isn`t it.

By the way, it`s `damn` business. A Dam is a large barrier used to obstruct the flow of water.

Another way that you may understand.

You`re not educated enough to try & be smart so don`t bother.

Oh dear, more evidence that Doctor Drivel doesn't even understand simple stuff about gas.
There he is advising DIYers they can have a go when he's incompetent himself. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the useful answers :).

The work is being done by a mate who is Corgi registered. His day job is repairing appliances, not fitting them. It has been years since he fitted anything. I know some on here will say he shouldn't be doing it if he hasn't got the experience but as long as it is tight I don't see a problem.

It is a U6 meter(low pressure regulator) currently supplying a BBU & fire and a 6 burner hob in 15mm over approx 9mtrs. A new 30kw WB system boiler is to be fitted as replacement for the BBU & fire. The pipe length will be 15mtr with 5 elbows and tee'd off to the hob.

MTR<--6mtr-->TEE<--9mtr-->BOILER

I worked it out to be 28mm(6mtr) up to the Tee then 15mm(2mtr) to the hob and 22mm(11mtr) to the boiler.

J

My god, why can't people just answer a simple question instead of constantly giving stupid comments?

Who said anything about doing it myself?

My comments were appropriate to a stupid question!!

Does your installer not know the answer??

Transco would only have 3/4" inlets yet the installer would have 28mm from the outlet. I recommend replacing the flex inlet with a 1" if possible. Available from http://www.bes.co.uk

The above statement proves your total lack of knowledge of the situation !!
You should not be giving advice on subjects that you have no understanding of!!
Stick to posting your googled knowledge of thermal stores!!

Can you explain where it is incorrect?

Hello All,

I need to upgrade my gas supply pipe from 22mm to 28mm for approx 8 mtrs from the meter before reducing back to 22mm. If the first few inches of supply pipe from the meter are in 22mm would this cause a bottle neck restriction i.e. 22mm-->28mm-->22mm?

TIA J

No, it will make no difference the first few inches being 22mm.

I have found it does. On some installations where the pressure drop was a little too much, replacing the outlet with a 1" x 28mm bent connector and around 1 foot of 28mm solved it.

If he needs 28mm back to the meter say for half the run, then a restriction in the run will impact.

Hello All,

I need to upgrade my gas supply pipe from 22mm to 28mm for approx 8 mtrs from the meter before reducing back to 22mm. If the first few inches of supply pipe from the meter are in 22mm would this cause a bottle neck restriction i.e. 22mm-->28mm-->22mm?

TIA J

No, it will make no difference the first few inches being 22mm.

I have found it does. On some installations where the pressure drop was a little too much, replacing the outlet with a 1" x 28mm bent connector and around 1 foot of 28mm solved it.

If he needs 28mm back to the meter say for half the run, then a restriction in the run with impact.

In a commercial installation yes, for an domestic it will make no difference.

The official capacity for an U6 is 6m3/hr.

3m of 22mm copper pipe will deliver 8.7m3/hr. How will increasing the size to 28mm improve the situation, when the potential capacity is already exceeded with the 22mm

I see your point but aren't pressure and flow two different things?

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back