Gas Pipes Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the regulation for running gas pipes vertically up timber kit walls. Is it allowed and if so, how? I have just bought a small flat and I need to run a gas pipe from my meter which is situated in the corner of my living room into the attic where there will be a new boiler installed. I dont want to have it surfaced with the need to box it in afterwards, hoping to rather remove the plasterboard from the timber kit wall and run it up the wall in the back of the plasterboard, into my attic to the boiler. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are an RGI, may I suggest you post in the CC. Gas related inquiries such as this are dealt with there.

What is the regulation for running gas pipes vertically up timber kit walls. Is it allowed and if so, how? I have just bought a small flat and I need to run a gas pipe from my meter which is situated in the corner of my living room into the attic where there will be a new boiler installed. I dont want to have it surfaced with the need to box it in afterwards, hoping to rather remove the plasterboard from the timber kit wall and run it up the wall in the back of the plasterboard, into my attic to the boiler. Many thanks in advance.

I installed my own gas pipework recently for my boiler during my recent heating upheavel in my home.
The main points to note are...
1 - Protection against damage by drilling
2 - Compression joints behind plaster board prohibited
3 - And pipe only run vertically

IGE/UP/7, timber framed dwellings state....

That where a copper gas supply is run vertically behind the plaster board finish, that the copper tube should be protected by a 1mm steel plate to prevent any penetration.

I just used some high tensile seamless steel tubing that I had easy access to from my fabrication workshop which I sleeved over the copper tubing.

Sponsored Links
Op, I think that you are going to get a limited number of replies to your question on here due to it being gas work. Regardless of Nordio's response, which may well be valid (I'm not an RGI and don't know), what will be essential is that the correct size of pipe is used which is determined by the proposed pipe run, number of bends, number and size of gas appliances, requirements of boiler to name but a few.

So before you even consider doing this work, you will need advice from a gas fitter who will also determine the method of burying the pipe in the wall. After all, it may well be him who is going to sign off the work, and he won't do that if he's not happy with what's there.

Well said , Dex. I would say the best pipe for the job would be Black Iron screwed barrel

Yeah,im gettin a plumber into do it but was wanting to know how I was allowed the pipes to be run incase I need to do any preperation work before he comes. I will remove the plasterboard before he comes and ask him to run it vertically up within the wall. Any objections?

Yeah,im gettin a plumber into do it but was wanting to know how I was allowed the pipes to be run incase I need to do any preperation work before he comes. I will remove the plasterboard before he comes and ask him to run it vertically up within the wall. Any objections?
Probably not. If you get him round to price the job up then he will verify this, and you will most likely have time to dig out the plasterboard before he actually comes to do the job anyway.

I installed my own gas pipework recently for my boiler during my recent heating upheavel in my home.
The main points to note are...
1 - Protection against damage by drilling
2 - Compression joints behind plaster board prohibited
3 - And pipe only run vertically

IGE/UP/7, timber framed dwellings state....

That where a copper gas supply is run vertically behind the plaster board finish, that the copper tube should be protected by a 1mm steel plate to prevent any penetration.

Although this is correct and is allowed personally i would only run pipes inside a kit as a last resort and as Nige said would prefer steel over copper.
But then i have an old head :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back