Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

Sponsored Links
in the grand scheme of things does it really matter.

years ago when i worked for bg you were not allowed to use ptfe although it was perfectly legal at the time, company policy.

one wrap came out & you you were.

same as self cleaning flux. thats not so aggressive now.

couldn't use pipe cutters. i can understand that.

Its nothing to do with what the makers say, its what the gas regulations say.
Is this another of your attempts to give legal advice?

Let's not forget that it didn't turn out very well for you last time, hmm? :D

I don't have the British Standards listed on the Screwfix PTFE.
How's about EN331:1998, and BS 746:2005, and BS 1552:1995?
I just quoted from one, I just said I didn't have the others.
No, you wrote that you didn't have the others listed on the Screwfix tape.

Do try to read what other people write occasionally.
The boot is very much on the other foot. I was offering you information, but you seem not to have read your own post, instead just imagining what you wrote and expecting other people to read your mind.

Which raises a different question, why is the thin stuff sold for plumbing?
Because it's incredibly useful, and because gas PTFE is often too thick.
But it shouldn't be used on coarse threads.
I don't see why not..
Because the standard I quoted said you should use the G stuff. There are standards.
And my original answer said that the thin tape is incredibly useful, but you seem to have ignored that and instead focussed on the coarse thread aspect. Why you believe that PTFE is useful only on threads is beyond me.

Sponsored Links
I don't have the British Standards listed on the Screwfix PTFE.
How's about EN331:1998, and BS 746:2005, and BS 1552:1995?
I just quoted from one, I just said I didn't have the others.

No, you wrote that you didn't have the others listed on the Screwfix tape.

The boot is very much on the other foot. I was offering you information, but you seem not to have read your own post, instead just imagining what you wrote and expecting other people to read your mind.

Well, that's a jolly interesting interpretation.
I searched for the ones listed on the Screwfix tape, assuming that they're relevant. I don't have them.
I searched for the relevant key word, 'PTFE'; the only one I have is the one I've quoted from.

The ones you've suggested;
BS 746:2005 . This is "Fittings for installation of low pressure gas meters. Requirements and test methods"

Really useful, where did you get that from?

BS 1552:1995; Specification for open bottomed taper plug valves for 1st, 2nd and 3rd family gases up to 200 mbar

A real gem, that. Do you make these numbers up at random?

EN331:1998; Manually operated ball valves and closed bottom taper plug valves for gas installations in buildings.

Splendid, 3 out of 3 with no relevance to anything.
You really did your homework on your contribution to this discussion.
Please try to limit your contributions to things that you know something about.

And my original answer said that the thin tape is incredibly useful, but you seem to have ignored that and instead focussed on the coarse thread aspect. Why you believe that PTFE is useful only on threads is beyond me.

I'm just quoting what the BS that I do have says; thin stuff (F) on fine threads, thick stuff on (G) coarse threads. And that's it; no special composition for gas. If you don't like it, write to the BSI.

Is there any difference between using gas PTFE taps and more turns of standard PTFE?

I'll take that to mean that none of you CORGI blokes know; there's a shock.

Well, that's a jolly interesting interpretation.
Well thank you. :)

Do you make these numbers up at random?
Yes. The fact that they all apply to gas, in some way, is just a highly improbable and therefore astonishing coincidence. :D

I'm just quoting what the BS that I do have says
Well done. With that degree of initiative you could be a stalwart member of the Nazi party.

If you don't like it, write to the BSI.
I do like it, so who should I write to? :confused:

Is there any difference between using gas PTFE taps and more turns of standard PTFE?
Yes. The thing you call "standard" PTFE is not unsintered (which you'd know if you had read the topic properly), which means that it's not suitable for use on gas joints.

Yes. The fact that they all apply to gas, in some way, is just a highly improbable and therefore astonishing coincidence. :D

Well done. With that degree of initiative you could be a stalwart member of the Nazi party.

Yes. The thing you call "standard" PTFE is not unsintered (which you'd know if you had read the topic properly), which means that it's not suitable for use on gas joints.

None of the BS numbers you quoted have any relevance to PTFE.
It seems you just posted a bunch of random BS numbers because you thought it made you look good.
It has made you look like an idiot.

I quote a BS and that makes me a Nazi?
You don't like being told that you're wrong, even though you are, in this case, wrong; anyone who disagrees with Softus must be a card-carrying, Nazi. Hmmmm.

You should look up the word sintered; you'll find it on Wikipedia.
It is all unsintered. It just means it's made from block or sheet material and not granules. Something to do with them long-chain polymer things or summat.

Regular PTFE shouldn't be used on gas joints
I don't see why not.

I don't know whether I've learned something new here or not as others disagree with you but when/if I go become qualified to work on gas i'll use gas ptfe if needed.
It's only marginally more expensive than regular ptfe and it's made for the job. Seems a pedantic issue.

but you shouldn't be working on gas pipes if you don't know that.
So is it your belief that everyone who made a gas joint before PTFE tape was introduced was incompetent?

What I meant was a qualified gas engineer would know what materials and tools he can use and if he wasn't sure he'd use the material advertised as being suitable for gas. Not that ptfe must be used on every joint.

It's a bit redundant having to explain it because you and I both know you understood what I meant :rolleyes:

Ok here is one that is just as basic which joint should not be done with PTFE gas or otherwise

None of the BS numbers you quoted have any relevance to PTFE.
They weren't supposed to.

you are, in this case, wrong
Please show me what I posted that was wrong.

You should look up the word sintered; you'll find it on Wikipedia.
That's kind of you, but I've no need to do either of those things. In the unlikely event that I find myself in any doubt about its meaning, I'd refer to the engineering book from which I first learned about the process back in 1976. :D

It is all unsintered.
Oh really? Then I suggest you get a camera ready for the moment you discover you're wrong, 'cos that look on your face is gonna be priceless. :D

which joint should not be done with PTFE gas or otherwise
spliff.jpg

They weren't supposed to.

That's kind of you, but I've no need to do either of those things. In the unlikely event that I find myself in any doubt about its meaning, I'd refer to the engineering book from which I first learned about the process back in 1976. :D

Oh really? Then I suggest you get a camera ready for the moment you discover you're wrong, 'cos that look on your face is gonna be priceless. :D

Why post them in a discussion about PTFE when they have nothing to do with PTFE?

I doubt that you have any engineering background; I now doubt everything you write.

I don't have time to indulge you in your ego trip fantasies.

Out.

Why post them in a discussion about PTFE when they have nothing to do with PTFE?
To open your eyes, and your closed mind, to the existence of other standards that are easily found on the Interweb.

I doubt that you have any engineering background
That's because it takes one to know one. ;)

I now doubt everything you write.
You are highly intelligent, thorough, responsible, knowledgeable, professional, skilled, and helpful.

Oh, and your personal hygiene is beyond reproach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back