Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

so called qualified not diy but i would not matter it still loosens off

Sponsored Links
READ back i have told you why .

You did tell me why, but you were wrong.

CORGI/ACS say it must be gas grade and they must have the reason; what is that reason?

It doesn't react with gas. Why are there British Standards, written by industry experts, stating that it is the just one material, PFTE and nothing but PTFE?

I don't think it's OK and haven't used it on gas. There's no point in libelling me, it won't change the facts that you don't know and what you thought you knew was wrong.

If anything I will tend to use the gas grade on BSP threads in the future.

Obviously I'm not going to get any answers from you.

perhaps these may help clear up some serious misunderstandings

standard ptfe tape
BS7786;1995 ..............................

Thanks Numpty. I've only got BS 5392; it's a spec for ABS pipe fittings type C is a pressure rating, 9 bar, I think.

FFS, if your using standard PTFE on gas joints then your wrong, if your using gas approved PTFE on anything other than gas then its overkill (but hey, belts and braces.), If your using Loctite 55 on your water, gas ,steam and several chemical joints, then hey dude welcome to the KNOWLEDGEABLE.

:confused: ;)

So if im wrong and i dont know. WHY are you going to take my advice and use it.
Spend a wee bit more time on manufacturers web sites and go a bit deeper,

Out of interest ONETAP why do you change your usual name on here when you want to spout sh#te . Do you not have the courage of your conviction

Sponsored Links
So if im wrong and i dont know. WHY are you going to take my advice and use it.

I'm not following your advice, I'm following the BS I read. Where did you advise that? You said it was overkill.

I've only ever used the one name on here.

I don't use ordinary PTFE on gas, I am just asking what the difference is in the hope that someone will have the real answer.

I can't see any difference to using several turns of thin tape instead of one turn of thick, gas stuff.

I wouldn't use the thin stuff on gas; I don't know the reasons, but that does not mean there isn't a reason. Besides it's cheap.

my apologies if Ive got this wrong Nam, but are you accusing me of being wrong, or accusing you of being wrong, in either case you'll find Im right.

If your using Loctite 55 on your water, gas ,steam and several chemical joints, then hey dude welcome to the KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Exactly Craig, as I posted earlier.

Can't believe this post is carrying on so far.

Ooops, I've just carried it on :eek: :LOL:

Namsag wrote

Even the ptfe manufacturers web sites say it different

Do you have a link to a specific manufacturer ?.

BOSS GT PTFE tape. "This tape satisfies demands of BGC IM/16 and is suitable for town gas, natural gas and LPG."

http://www.bssuk.co.uk/bsscomm/uploads/productinfo/BOSS_permanite_GT_PTFE_tape.pdf

BOSS PTFE tape. "Used by plumbers and heating engineers to provide a watertight seal on threaded joints."

http://www.bssuk.co.uk/bsscomm/uploads/productinfo/BOSS_ptfe_tape.pdf

They are the same material, i.e., both "100% pure, virgin PTFE and containing less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant".

The only difference is the thickness, 0.20 and 0.075mm.

FFS Ladies, you have been educated unto the future. Loctite 55 use a bit and come back and say its all wrong/not natural.

its the one stop sealant, " nuff said".

PTFE= Play time for eijits.

;)

I worked in the WL Gore factory in Livingston where they spray PTFE onto clothing and shoes and stuff to make it watertight but breathable.

Extortionate Goretex clothing but very effective.

The security was unbelievable because the had no patents for the process preferring instead to keep the process secret. Must have worked cause this was about 20 odd year ago and WL Gore still make the stuff,don't think anyone else does but no doubt someone will prove me wrong.

BTW,PTFE is the most frictionless material know to man or was :LOL:

Never heard of it reacting with NG and causing explosions. Namsag,are you on drugs? Can I have some? :LOL:

To further muddy the water I wonder what you experienced gents think of this bit of advice I've been given.
Don't use jointing compound and ptfe together because the compound degrades the tape.

I can't find any reference to it in books or the like so was wondering if it's one of those myths that gets bandied around or it it has basis in truth?
I haven't really found a need to use both together but I've been encouraged to do it on an immersion heater. I'm dubious.

was always taught never to mix paste and ptfe,do not know the reason why for sure, but think it causes some kind of reaction and degrades the ptfe somehow.
go back to the old ways just paste the threads with jointing compound that sets,or move with the times and use loctite 55 on everything

You should look up the word sintered; you'll find it on Wikipedia.
It is all unsintered. It just means it's made from block or sheet material and not granules. Something to do with them long-chain polymer things or summat.

to quote onetap.

thats the reason its the way unsintered fills the thread in a near homogenus manner and maintains electrical continuity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back