Gas Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me regarding the current gas regs for having two gas fires in a through-lounge. I have been told that you can only have one fire operational and therefore the Gas fitter disconnected the other one. the place is being let at the moment and I'm getting contradictions from various people and I obviously want to go the correct safety route. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can have two but ventillation requirements must be met and to be honest will probably be freezing if the proper requirements are met

For 2 fires in a through lounge provided the fires are not above 7kw no additional ventilation would normally be required .
But the fire flues need to be tested with one fire on and one off then do it other way around then obviously with both on

Sponsored Links
What kind of fires are they. Outset, inset, basket type??

If they're both Decorative Fuel Effect fires, which most seem to be these days, the old types would have needed a big hole indeed for a vent - 235square cm.
Many new ones though are designed to run without a vent, but with two in one room I'd still check with the manufacturer.
Overriding whatever the mfr's minimum is, a gas engineer would also have to do a test, and it may still transpire that they would need a vent to work properly. Which means you effectively have to buy them and put them in before you know what they'll need, if anything.

DFe fires need ventillation. One fire would usually need 100cm2 vent (or bigger if mi's ask for it) most of my landlords have their gas fires removed these days and replaced with elec ones, maybe safer for tenants.
The vent tat you install has to be cut through wall at high level so as ianmcd says it'll freeze. There's also the cost of doing that to be considered.
Your gas guy will advise on correct vent/ size. Can't tell you here as its safety critical and can't see the setup.

but thats not what has happened the guy has said 2 fires not allowed which is not the case unless one/both of them fails spillage test when appropriate tests are carried out

No he said one disconnected. I'm not even sure he is telling us the right type of fire. I have a suspicion they are Lfe fires which of course is a different matter however we don't know this for sure. You can't say they don't require ventillation as if they are Dfe then the 7kw you mention has already been allowed for by the manufacturers. A Dfe will require 100 cm2 in addition to this.
Quick question for the op do the fires have a heat exchanger or are they just sitting in the bottom of the chimney?

End of the day gas112 we don't know unless we go there exactly what he has. To give safety advice on this subject is at best risky. As advised he would be better to get a competent engineer to have a look, one that knows the ventillation rules on multiple appliance.

To correct Gas112's reply if I may

2 fires installed in a single room the following applies
2 - 7 Kw fires total input 14Kw less 7 Kw for adventicious air Ventilation required for the total input over 7 Kw (in this example it is 7Kw )

Once the ventialtion requirement is installed it quite acceptable to operate both fires

Simples!! ;)

Well yes to be picky I agree but I was trying to make the point that the 7Kw allowance (which is cncluded in MI's calculation for DFE's can only be used on a single appliance if two DFEs are in the room then the MI's may not be correct as you would have to add 7Kws worth of ventilation to the combined total ventilation requirement ;)

Boilerman 2 read what its says about a knocked through room you do not just allow for 1 7kw of adventious air
third edition corgi book page 54 table 5 ,,, 3rd box down

Two or more gas fires upto a total rated heat input of 7kw (net or gross) each (total14kw).

In a room through lounge dinner etc.

Ventilatioon not normally require as adventitious ventilation will usually provide sufficient air for combustion . For a higher kw rating allow an additional 5cm/kw above 14kw.

So you are corrected not me.
And it is not ok for both fire to operate SIMPLES as i have said the fires must be tested under various conditions SIMPLES ;)

This is abasic ACS question that has been in since days of ACOPS

I think that we all know what we are doing we have all passed ACOPS ACS etc this very point was majored on on my last resit (I passed)

I think it is very difficult to advice on a forum such as this it is far easier when out in the field ;)

If this very point was majored on then it should have stuck with you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back