Gas safe

Hi muggles thank you for your response. i can take Phots but will have to wait till my son comes as i am not very good with computer tech. found your post very helpful but cannot find thanks button . can you advise?

Sponsored Links
Hi muggles thank you for your response. i can take Phots but will have to wait till my son comes as i am not very good with computer tech. found your post very helpful but cannot find thanks button . can you advise?

To be fair, I dont understand why thy have "hidden" the "gratuity" buttons.
OP, hover the cursor below multi quote & quote, bottom left of post. The thanks button will appear.

Maybe the best way forward would be to arrange an indemnity when the house is sold . And just be upfront about the install - not the cost though. Even say to buyer, "I'll drop £2.5k for a new boiler". A canny downsize to the right area and you'll be a winner. Caveat Emptor;)

I dont see why you guys are giving the guy a hard time, yet. It is possible that chains are being yanked, but it is also possibke that the guy has been severely ripped off. Why would anyone be aware of a benchmark requirement, unless it is mentioned by anther RGI. Lots of people pay cash - for variable reasons. In this case, on the surface, it seems unlikely that cash secured a cheap deal.

It is sometimes a cultural thing. Where I traded was a "cash" town. there was a certain amount of pride in being able to offer the readies. When I fitted fireplaces practically every day, punters would more often than not, ask for discount for cash. We would always refuse. At the end of the job, we would, at least 50% of the time, be presented with a brown envelope stuffed with cash!!. So I had to pay, IIRC, 0.05% to the bank to pay it in. This was before bank transfers became the norm, but debit cards were our favourite means of payment (20p).

Watch a handful of TV programmes, and you will see otherwise intelligent folk falling for scammers. Remember - scamming is an occupation for some. And, without fail, the victim will always say that he seemed very nice / helpful / honest / charming. That is their stock in trade, along with plenty of neck.

I looking forward to seeing his photos of the work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
are you always this gullable?
I am not in the least gullible. Far from it.
However, this site is wide ranging, and gave you checked his history? Would you appreciate being heckled if you were to ask a "stupid" question on, say, the software page. Even though your record shows youasa long standing member?

FWIW, I am inclined to think he is a genuine victim. But we will see

To be fair, I dont understand why thy have "hidden" the "gratuity" buttons.
OP, hover the cursor below multi quote & quote, bottom left of post. The thanks button will appear.

the cursor can be anywhere on the post you are looking at.

He has been a member for 11yrs with 24 posts, 95% of which were asking for painting and decorating help. First post re boiler was 2016 and he lives in Buckinghamshire which is generally considered to be a well off area.
Thinking the guy has had his trousers pulled down and needs gentle help.

The OP has been a member of this site for 11years????. Why???? ...And he cannot even figure out how to post a pic...or think it might be a good idea to have the fitters details...benchmark filled in etc...REALLY!!
Thinking you`ve been doing the job so long you maybe expect a little too much from the general public dp especially if they are of a certain age.

Maybe the best way forward would be to arrange an indemnity when the house is sold . And just be upfront about the install - not the cost though. Even say to buyer, "I'll drop £2.5k for a new boiler". A canny downsize to the right area and you'll be a winner. Caveat Emptor;)
Indemnity insurance arrange via a solicitor will not cost a lot.
Don`t quote me but thinking around £50 plus their costs.

several unhelpful posts which have been removed
What is your problem DP? He has asked a few questions. He hasn't argued with the responses, and has yet to jetison his dummy.

It is you that is coming across as odd, TBH

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all Im sorry that some of you feel that i am taking the p . I prefer to give work to a fellow brit but i have been caught out and i can take that on the chin.I have taken some photos but cannot post at the moment due to software problem but will post a.s.a.p Thank you to all that have posted helpful comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back