Gas (not very) Safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some grant work done by the local council which included removing the CH boiler from the wall, rebuilding the wall, and refitting the boiler.
The 'gas fitter' turned up and didn't seem to know how to remove boiler. He disconnected the wrong pipes at first but finally figured it out.
Three days later, after the wall had been rebuilt, the 'gas fitter' returned and
refitted the boiler. When he was finishing off the work I noticed that the flue pipe on the inside of my house had a label on it which said 'TOP', this label was on the side of the flue facing me. I mentioned this to the fitter and he got the builder to rotate the flue 45 degrees clockwise so that the TOP label was at the top of the flue.
The fitter then pressurised the system but could not get the pressure gauge to show a reading. He then spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. He finally removed a flange and refitted it the correct way. The pressure gauge now worked ok.
The boiler now started ok and the fitter left.
A couple of days later I asked the council appointed builder for the fitters name and Gas Safe reg number as I wanted to keep a record of everyone that had worked on the boiler. the builder gave me a name and number. The name he gave me was not the name that the builder had called the gas fitter. The builders explanation was that his name was ***** but everyone called him *****.
I became suspicious so I looked on the Gas Safe site but couldn't find the name or number. I phoned Gas Safe and a lady managed to talk me through getting the details of the name and number I had been given. On the screen was the persons name and registration number given to me by the council builder. My wife a I both looked at the photograph of the gas fitter and realised that this was not the person who had worked on our boiler. The Gas Safe person suggested I use the online form to report an illegal fitter.
About 30 minutes later a council employee arrived to inspect the building work. I showed the Gas Safe page on my computer and said that the photograph was not the person who had worked on our boiler. The council person didn't want to know and said I should sort things out with the (council appointed) builder. I then phoned the builder and he said that he was sorry and that the person who had worked on our boiler was in fact the father of the registered gas fitter and was not Gas Safe registered.
I again went through the menus on the Gas Safe site but could only get a page with the registered gas fitters name and details of what work he was authorised to do.
I phoned Gas Safe and was told that the gas fitters name, address, phone number, photogarph and email address had been removed. I asked who can do this and was told that the engineer could have removed the information as engineers are not required to post all their information on the site.(I don't know if this is correct)
I made a report to Gas Safe and a few days later phoned them to ask what was being done. I was told that no action was being taken because I had no proof. I was also told that because I had already got a Gas Safe engineer to check the boiler and issue a safety certificate, Gas Safe could take no action.
So now there is a man doing gas work who is not Gas Safe registered and clearly doesn't know what he is doing. I hope I don't wake up one morning and read in the local paper that a family have been overcome by fumes from a gas boiler and have all died and that the same illegal fitter had just worked on their boiler.
I know I should have checked the fitters Gas Safe card, but I thought that as the builder had been apponted by the local council, and that I had been told that the builders are all vetted, there was no need.
I think Gas Safe is a waste of time.

Sponsored Links
I agree and think you should take it further, contact the HSE, then ask the Council why they are using illegal gas installers, in writing to make it official.

Sounds like some back hand favours going around.

I have spoken to the HSE and they don't want to know. They say that they only investigate if Gas Safe report an engineer to them.
Spoke to Trading Standards (same council). At first the chap said that he was investigating some other engineers in the area and seemed very pleased to speak to me. A few days later I spoke to him again and he didn't want to know. He said I should phone Comsumer Direct. I think he may have been warned off by his boss at the local council.

Sponsored Links
A very powerful tool in our industry I'm afraid...

http://images.e-storefront.co.uk/l/157635_49427618.jpg[/QUOTE]

Precisley. Never use a deniable telephone csll when making a serious complaint. Get everything in writing, and don't give a telephone number. You are much more likely to get a considered response.

Did you contact the engineer for whom the details were supplied, he MAY know nothing about this job.

Werre you not given any paperwork relating to the gas instalation?

Who engaged the builder and GsRGI? If it was the council, then they are liable and responsible for any work carried out by their agents.

I agree that as far as I can see the council are responsible for the builder as they appointed him and are also responsible for the people he uses.

I have tried to contact the registered gas engineer and he doesn't reply. The fact that all his details, photograph etc were removed from the site within 2 hours of me first talking to Gas Safe, and the fact he doesn't seem to want to talk to me, makes me think he knows all about what has happened especially as the builder says the illegal fitter is the registered persons father.

I wanted to talk to the registered gas fitter as the circumstances could be that he has fallen out with his father and his father is using his name and reg number without his knowledge.

As for paperwork, this would have gone back to the council or building control via the builder. I have never had any paperwork for grant work carried out by the council.

By the way, all phone calls in and out of my house are recorded (thats another story)

So I have been told by other gas engineers. They say that Gas Safe are good at chasing them but not the illegal engineers.

I would contact the council by writing, to ask why they are using iilegal gas fitters.
A while ago a builder I know went through the council to be an approved contractor. The council wanted to know who his subbies were and details, copies of certificates etc.

It is a difficult one. Do you have the reg number of the registered guy? If you have his registration number, then you should be able to find him.
He may not be aware of the situation.

Graham

One of the major complaints by Gas Registered people is that Gas Safe will not seriously investigate illegal work.

Unfortunately, merely posting or a forum will get nothing done.

The fellow at Gas safe who is in charge of investigations is ( or was ) Phil Brewster. I would suggest you contact him directly and explain the situation.

There are two organisations which purport to represent Gas Registered engineers problems and that would include illegal working not being followed up by Gas Safe. They are ARGI and OPGO. You can search online for them.

Best of luck! I am one of the many who think that ANY illegal work should be followed up. But the reality of the world is that little actually happens in spite of the many words published.

Tony

One of the major complaints by Gas Registered people is that Gas Safe will not seriously investigate illegal work.

Unfortunately, merely posting or a forum will get nothing done.

The fellow at Gas safe who is in charge of investigations is ( or was ) Phil Brewster. I would suggest you contact him directly and explain the situation.

There are two organisations which purport to represent Gas Registered engineers problems and that would include illegal working not being followed up by Gas Safe. They are ARGI and OPGO. You can search online for them.

Best of luck! I am one of the many who think that ANY illegal work should be followed up. But the reality of the world is that little actually happens in spite of the many words published.

Tony

Well said Tony

Definitely write to the local paper, and also see if you can find a national that will run the story, that should get things moving.

bear in mind that as your boiler has now been re fitted illegally your house contents insurance could be void and buildings insurance if you own it. techinically it could be classed as 'at risk' because it hasnt been recomissioned properly, which only an RGI can do with the relevant qualifications.

you need to send very serious letters to the building company who used the dodgy gas guy, the gas'registered' engineer who's name was used. gassafe the HSE, the person in charge of the grant work the head of the local council and the local MP. do everything in writing.

if all that fails i suggest a placard outside the local town hall and tell the local tv reporters you are going.

Tony

Wonder if it's worth using the government's e-petition service to make a point about this? Need to find a way of publicising the fact that it's there to sign though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back