Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing some work for my neighbours and one of the next jobs is to make a pair of gates out of tounge and groove boards, I'm confident with my joinery skills (i've made similar doors for outbuildings) just unsure as to the best timber to use, I think we have ruled out hardwood as being to expensive. I know you can get whitewoods and redwoods etc but just not sure which would be best, the gates would be about 6' 6" x 4' and in a very exposed position so i'm concerned about rot etc. Also what would be the best way to finish the top of the gates, some sort of weatherboard or plastic capping.

Sponsored Links
all i will say is leave loads of expansion room and expect a lot of shrinkage
don't close the boards tight if they are dry [moisture below around 12 percent]leave a 2 or 3mm gap

you also need to leave a 12mm expansion gap at the sides
so if you make you stops out of 20 or 25mm there will be enough with room to shrink plus an expansion gap

If you fit the T&G vertically, the boards will take up water through the end grain and rot fairly quickly. Soak the ends for 24 hours in Cuprinol or similar.

Whatever stain or oil finish you are going to use, give the ends extra treatments after the cuprinol has dried, and before assembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back