Generator earthing to house earth.

Sponsored Links
So I’m not going mad then. I thought I had a point!
Well, the point you made was seemingly correct, but I'm not sure that it is particularly relevant.

The only reason why one needs earth ('an earth') is because the neutral of the DNO's supply is connected to earth at the transformer. If one has a floating genny supply, that issue does not arise, and the only reason (that I can think of) that some people might consider 'having an earth' to be important would be to facilitate operation of any RCDs (which often won't exist with a temporary genny supply, anyway).

Kind Regards, John

Well, the point you made was seemingly correct, but I'm not sure that it is particularly relevant.

The only reason why one needs earth ('an earth') is because the neutral of the DNO's supply is connected to earth at the transformer. If one has a floating genny supply, that issue does not arise, and the only reason (that I can think of) that some people might consider 'having an earth' to be important would be to facilitate operation of any RCDs (which often won't exist with a temporary genny supply, anyway).

Kind Regards, John
Agreed. However without a reference the generator ‘earth’ will be just floating, potentially resulting in a voltage existing between the generator (which I would think has a metal frame) and the ground.

Every generator I have ever worked on, okay typically bigger (50-500kva) has an earth stake, so although the generator supplies an ‘earth’ in the form of TNS, it is referenced to true earth

Agreed. However without a reference the generator ‘earth’ will be just floating, potentially resulting in a voltage existing between the generator (which I would think has a metal frame) and the ground.
True, but provided the generator output truly is floating, that, in itself, does not present any hazard, any more than does the output of, say, a 'shaver socket',
Every generator I have ever worked on, okay typically bigger (50-500kva) has an earth stake, so although the generator supplies an ‘earth’ in the form of TNS, it is referenced to true earth
That may be true of big and/or fixed generators, but I'm sure you will find that many a portable/'standby' generator used 'in the filed' has no earth referencing.

As I said, I think the main reason for earth referencing is probably to facilitate RCD functioning, and the sort of use of generators we're talking about will probably often/usually have no RCDs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone said it can't be done but making it work and doing it right are different things. BS7430 is inactive now, this from a couple of years ago is a good commentary on different generator setups (and applicable to the UK). There is no one size fits all solution, it depends on the generator and other factors.

Wow a lot of words to get to, use either TT or TNS for a gen earth but not TNCS....I think I just may have said that...

How did we put man on the moon....

But in those days the effort and skill to write tight, highly efficient, single-purpose code was immense. And expensive. And is no longer needed or valued.

But in those days the effort and skill to write tight, highly efficient, single-purpose code was immense. And expensive. And is no longer needed or valued.
Very true ("needs must"!!) - and I say that as the man who, once upon a time wrote, a rudimentary 'word processor' (and similar with other things like 'spreadsheets'), in Z80 machine code, with the constraint that it had to fit in 8 kB of available storage!" When I look at the size of modern applications, I have to wonder what on earth is in it and how 'sloppy' the programmers are being!

Having said that, I seem to recall that the Apollo11 computer got 'overwhelmed' by the amount of data and the number of things it was being asked to do, such that Neil Armstrong had to 'take over' and land the thing on the moon manually.

Kind Regards, John

But in those days the effort and skill to write tight, highly efficient, single-purpose code was immense.
And before those days ( of the first computers ) the the effort and skill to design and build hardware was immense

These two boards form a 384 bit read/write memory for the Soemtron 220 series of desk calculators.
380 bit memory.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back