Generator keeps tripping (DC)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!
I own a 300KW Clarks Generator (PG3800A) that has mains 240 out put and 12V DC out put.

The DC out put is rated at 8.3Amps. I have tried charging several batteys from it, and it would appear that the flatter or bigger battery needed to be charged the more the generator dose not want to charge it and the DC trip switch keeps tripping ou

Sponsored Links
Also....
I have tried several AC-DC standard car battery charges plugged into the mains 240 out put of the generator then into a battery. And it is if they too do not want to work. I know they work because we have used them from mains power before

And finally; I have plugged a mains kettle, and mains kettle only! into the AC output of the generator, and the engine is trying to stall. please note that the generator is rated at 3KW

I have called the depot at Clarks and it is like they are trying to fob me off making out I need a speial machine between the generator and the battery for it to charge a battery but could not give any further info. Infact they claim to know so much about electronics that amps multiplied by volts = ohms

I've got the similar genny, PG3800 (no A on the end)
I've never charged a battery on it, but according to the manual you just connect battery charging leads to the battery and 12v connections on genny.

Found it to be a reliable genny, but one thing I've found it needs a fair amount of fuel in it, otherwise it hunts a lot and dies.

I think the continuous running power is 2.7Kw burst 3Kw.

Mine is a second hand unit, but I replaced the fuel line, from carb to the fuel valve as it had perished and is too tight.
Been running fine since this.

If yours is new, I'd ask for a replacement.

Sponsored Links
fob me off making out I need a speial machine between the generator and the battery
You do need a battery charger between generator and battery to limit the current flowing into the battery to a safe level. Too much current can result in damage to the battery and a significant risk of the battery overheating, possibly with boiling acid being ejected or worse case the battery bursting.

Also a 12 volt battery will need about 15 volts into the charger for the battery to be charged

Spotted this from the Clarke manual:

WARNING: YOU SHOULD ONLY USE THIS GENERATOR TO ‘TOP UP’ THE BATTERY, ALSO TRYING TO CHARGE A COMPLETELY FLAT BATTERY MAY CAUSE THE FUSE TO BLOW.

Battery chargers like these 1688713943264.png are so cheap at around £15 and charge at 3.8 or 5 amp using stage charging it is hardly worth using the 12 volt output from the generator. The problem is under around 7.5 volt they see the battery as 6 volt, so only way to charge a completely discharged battery is to connect it in parallel to a good one.

I use something like this 1688714370506.pngat work, but other than when used to jump start, within ¼ hour the charge rate has dropped to nearly the same as the cheap chargers, so in the main the cheap Lidi charger would do same job.

You need some sort of resistive load plugged in to the gennie as well as the battery charger (500w sunflood used to be my favourite).
Kettle stalling it- what is the kettle rated at? My 2kw inverter gennie gets unhappy boiling a 2kw kettle (tends to trip out just before the kettle boils)- solution was a 'hotel' kettle (650w).

so only way to charge a completely discharged battery is to connect it in parallel to a good one.

CAUTION

If the completely discharged battery is connected directly in parallel to a battery that has some charge the current flow will not be limited and could be high enough to cause one or both off the batteries to suffer significant damage.

Sometimes it is safer to avoid the use of an "intelligent" automatic battery charger.

CAUTION

If the completely discharged battery is connected directly in parallel to a battery that has some charge the current flow will not be limited and could be high enough to cause one or both off the batteries to suffer significant damage.

Sometimes it is safer to avoid the use of an "intelligent" automatic battery charger.
Many years ago I considered this with lead acid, I must say this is lead acid not any other type, and I worried about when the split charging relay energised with a leisure battery and prime mover battery in parallel, however the only time any significant current flows is when one cell has gone short circuit. Even a battery showing zero volts, connected to a fully charged battery, the current is not very high.

I have done this many times with a fuse (25 amp) in the connecting lead, and it has never blown.
an "intelligent" automatic battery charger
Will not charge a completely discharged battery. Even the single voltage chargers like the Ctek MXS range with no volt meter or ability to charge 6 volt batteries will not start to charge if under 2 volt, the better chargers with built in volt meters and auto 6 volt switching, need 7.4 volt with 12 volt battery and 3.7 volt with a 6 volt battery to start charging.

I found a pair of 7 Ah batteries which had been completely discharged on a stair lift, and could not be charged unless the lift was parked at either end, it was stuck mid way, so had to fit a pair of new to get stair lift to one end, no manual winder on it. The pair of good but discharged batteries went missing, and it was only when my father-in-law died I found them.

I assumed they were now useless, however I put one in parallel with a good one, and put it on charge with the Lidi charger, plugged into an energy monitor, so I could from my lap top see what was going on.

It charged the donor battery then switched to stand-by mode in essence off, and sat there for nearly two weeks, then as if some one had flicked a switch, it started to charge and went through the complete charging cycle, I used the battery to power my ham radio, and it behaved like a new battery, seemed no worse for being left so long discharged, so repeated with second battery of the pair with same results. Also did same with jump starter unit, and two caravan leisure batteries, the last one was a failure, but 4 or the 5 batteries recovered.

I would not attempt this with a Ni/Iron battery, but with lead acid there seems to be no problem.

However did have a problem with mobility scooter batteries, I tested before leaving home, 150 watt inverter with the battery charger pulled in seemed to work, so great could charge while on holiday, however once discharged the charger tripped the inverter on over current, real pain as can't charge the batteries off the scooter, so had to get whole scooter into hotel room to recharge batteries. Back then you didn't get EV charging points at hotels. That would be worth a picture to see a mobility scooter charging from an EV point, must be possible as the Citroen Ami only has a 16 amp lead with standard Schuko or 13 amp plug.

Had same with shorted cell, two batteries in series on charge, and one battery got a shorted cell and the other when as you show, and charger only 6 amp for two 35 Ah batteries.

I cannot recall the exact reason for this battery to become hot and swollen but it came close to spectacular self destruction.
Overcharging usually, I've pulled a number of 7aH lead acids out of battery UPS units over the years with a decent amount of swell on them, not as bad as that one admittedly.

You do need a battery charger between generator and battery to limit the current flowing into the battery to a safe level.
So if the genny puts out 12V DC. How am I supposed to plug a standard AC-DC battery charger into it; How dose that work?

Too much current can result in damage to the battery and a significant risk of the battery overheating, possibly with boiling acid being ejected or worse case the battery bursting.
Surely the thing must have a built in regulator, other wise its a fire hazard on a bbc panorama level!

Also a 12 volt battery will need about 15 volts into the charger for the battery to be charged
Understood! car alternators run at 14 something volts to a 12volt battery

PS just tested my gennys DC volt out put now; 16.29/ 16.37 Volts. That is an exsessive amount of volts for a 12V battery

Spotted this from the Clarke manual:

WARNING: YOU SHOULD ONLY USE THIS GENERATOR TO ‘TOP UP’ THE BATTERY, ALSO TRYING TO CHARGE A COMPLETELY FLAT BATTERY MAY CAUSE THE FUSE TO BLOW.
Did not know there was a fuse! since you have the same model. do you know where the fuse is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back