Gentlemen a warning ......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you go through an Amber light and irrespective of any reason if you don't exit the junction box area when the light subsequently goes red.

It's classed as going through a red light !

My days course has been booked.

Amber light when I went through,
Red before I cleared the box.

Sponsored Links
I thought that if you approach traffic lights, you have the two second rule ie. safe stopping distance. So if you're travelling in a 30 mph zone and get within 75 feet of the lights and they turn amber, it's not safe to stop. If it's a yellow box, you are not suppose to enter and stop if the way forward is not clear and so you would have adjusted your speed and remained back.

You may enter the box if you are turning right even though you cannot exit the box because of oncoming traffic

I thought that if you approach traffic lights, you have the two second rule ie. safe stopping distance. So if you're travelling in a 30 mph zone and get within 75 feet of the lights and they turn amber, it's not safe to stop. If it's a yellow box, you are not suppose to enter and stop if the way forward is not clear and so you would have adjusted your speed and remained back.

Not true. I'm not talking yellow boxes. Traffic lights no yellow lines. If you haven't exited all the perceived area of the junction and the lights go red ....your done.
End of. The lights went red before I'd fully exited camera got me ...done ....Amber when I entered the box.

Sponsored Links
If you go through an Amber light and irrespective of any reason if you don't exit the junction box area when the light subsequently goes red.

It's classed as going through a red light !

My days course has been booked.

Amber light when I went through,
Red before I cleared the box.
Nothing to do with the amber light!

An offence is committed when any part of the vehicle proceeds beyond (ie passes over) the stop line with the light showing red. If the entire vehicle has passed the stop line before the light had changed to red, then no offence is committed if the vehicle continues on its way.

You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.

An offence is committed when any part of the vehicle proceeds beyond (ie passes over) the stop line with the light showing red.

Don't think that's right.
Unless you have a link to say other wise.

You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.

That statement contradicts itself.
And is not clear on what its actually saying.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the amber light!

An offence is committed when any part of the vehicle proceeds beyond (ie passes over) the stop line with the light showing red. If the entire vehicle has passed the stop line before the light had changed to red, then no offence is committed if the vehicle continues on its way.

I should have used you for my defense ....have you got a link ? I got the camera footage amber time is shown and red time is before I managed to get across the junction, just the back end of the vehicle maybe a meter still in the area of the junction.

I rang up about it and they told me any part of the vehicle still in the junction it's an offence.
No yellow lines at all anywhere near these lights.

I should have used you for my defense ....have you got a link ? I got the camera footage amber time is shown and red time is before I managed to get across the junction, just the back end of the vehicle maybe a meter still in the area of the junction.

I rang up about it and they told me any part of the vehicle still in the junction it's an offence.
As posted above, rule 174 of the HC.

Edit: But your posts are confusing as to whether it was a junction box or not.
Different rules apply.

I got the camera footage amber time is shown and red time is before I managed to get across the junction, just the back end of the vehicle maybe a meter still in the area of the junction.
That doesn't make sense.
You would have to know in advance when the lights were going to change.

Rubbish.
Is there a minimum speed for crossing junctions?
Didn't you query it?

Maybe they saw you coming.

gasbanni

Was it a signalled roundabout (of any sort) rather than a junction?
(We have one near us that to all intents and purposes looks like a staggered junction but catches a lot of people out, regardless of the amber/red light issue)

"At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping."

"You are committing a Road Traffic Offence if you fail to stop for a red light. Certain emergency vehicles are exempted, but in general it is the driver’s obligation to stop at traffic lights unless they are on green. If the amber light is showing, then you must stop unless you have already crossed the white stop line or if you are too close to stop the vehicle safely, and without causing an accident. If the red light is illuminated, then you must stop regardless of the circumstances. "

Amber light your supposed to stop !

Yes, that's the first think I learned about traffic lights in 1983. Amber means STOP!

It's also an offence to cross over the stop line if an emergency vehicle is trying to push its way through. I had exactly this some years ago at some lights with three lanes of traffic waiting. The ambulance came up behind, so I pulled across the line and over to one side, in front of the car that was to my side.
Needless to say I got done. I went to court with it and was ****ting bricks because I thought I'd get a worse penalty.

But the judge asked me why I had done it and I told him that if I was in the back of that ambulance, or waiting for it to arrive, I would like to think that someone else would do the same for me.

He then asked the copper if I had put myself or any other road users in danger by doing what I did. He ummed and ahhed and then said no. The judge threw it out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back