getting gas to an all-electric house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm thinking of moving house to somewhere which doesn't have gas. Its in the road, to other houses (including just accross the road) but I don't think there's a pipe to the house.
How expensive and difficult is this going to be ? Its just a normal house a few meters from the pavement. Is it Transco who will do all the work, or will I have to sort out the contractors to dig and lay pipe ?

Sponsored Links
its Transco u need to contact & they will give u a quote to do all the work .that will include a gas box on the outside of ya house, if u want a box set into the cavity to look better then you must ask to have that tpye of box & u have to have it fitted in the wall before they come, probably cost £300/400 .by past experiance.

thanks!

does anyone have any idea what Transco might charge for this ? i know that 'it depends' but a hint as to how deep I would need to dig would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
keego said:
£600 & 6 to 8 weeks wait.

indeed sounds about right, ours had to run about 28 metre.

When the survayer came thought, he didnt believe that we didnt have gas, and wanted to search the house for a meter, muppet.

They charge more if there is underground hazards like water pipes (to the front of our house) and MOD fuel lines (to the rear of our house) but I think there plans about the fuel line were wrong! Its about half a mile away.

the recomended depth below grass is 375mm & less below concrete. but they dont like u to dig it yourself.

thanks for the replies...thought it might 1 or 2 thousand, so its good to hear its much less.

I have just been quoted £3000 for new Gas supply, it is 75 metre run but I have to do all excavation and backfill for this price

This will upset you all then.

I only paid £50 to have gas installed (had money off voucher)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back