Getting hot water to basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,im installing a basin in the downstairs toilet.It has a basin in but no hot water,just cold.how do i get hot water to it?
cheers
ben

Sponsored Links
Tee off your nearest hot water pipe and run it to the basin fitted with an service valve.
Pete

Cheers for the replies,so i can t off the bath above? but how do i get the pipe down to the basin? through the ceiling down the wall?
ben

Sponsored Links
Let me get out my crystal ball and x ray eyes so I can see your property in detail.

Tee off under the bath panel drop down keeping it close to the wall in 15mm pipe clipping to the wall every metre.
P

WelshMan said:
i would suggest 22m if its a fair distance and then reduce it to 15mm.

Wouldn't that mean having to draw off even more water untill its hot?

Run as small as possible as its only a basin. 15mm is fine.

WelshMan said:
i would suggest 22m if its a fair distance and then reduce it to 15mm.

Just wanted to give him an option if he had a long way to pipe the water. My house has 15mm pipe for the kitchen and it takes an age for HW to flow to it. Though doesnt help with the way the pipework seems to be arranged. Also thought with the bigger bore he would get the HW quicker, but i can see your point also.

Stuff and nonsense. You don't want to be bothering with all those silly pipes. Just do it like
THIS

Ah the origin of the electric water heater, I see the Dosh they have is a cleaning powder.
P

WelshMan said:
Also thought with the bigger bore he would get the HW quicker...
Quite the reverse actually.

Suppose the pipe is x metres long. A 15mm pipe of that length holds 1 litre of water. A 22mm pipe of that length holds 2 litres of water.

When you turn on the basin tap, if it delivers 2 lites of water per minute, the 15mm pipe will be flushed through of all the cold water it contains after 30 seconds, then the tap will deliver hot water. The 22mm pipe will take 1 minute to flush through all the cold water it contains.

JohnD said:
Quite the reverse actually.
I don't think it's possible to be quite that certain.

Suppose the pipe is x metres long. A 15mm pipe of that length holds 1 litre of water. A 22mm pipe of that length holds 2 litres of water.
Er, actually the 22mm pipe, in this scenario, would hold about 2.37 litres.

The 22mm pipe will take 1 minute to flush through all the cold water it contains.
The trouble is that 22mm pipe is less restrictive than 15mm pipe, so it's possible that it could take less time, not more.

Less if the flow rate's high enough, but you don't want 20 l/min for a hand basin, it could splash everywhere.
If it's posh restrictive tap there's little point going over 10mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back