Getting rid of damp smell

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a gutter come off the roof, which meant that the internal face of the external wall started to get damp, which had just been newly plastered.

Guttering is all fixed, external wall is dry and I applied some stain block to the plaster and painted.

however, got some mould on the wall and having painted with vinyl paint, thought that I may have blocked in some moisture, so stripped off the paint (which came off in strips).

The plaster is all dry, no damp marks and feels dry but I now have a smell of damp - is there anything i can do to get rid of this? wash the walls with something before repainting?

Sponsored Links
Paint with a trade matt non vinyl emulsion - it`ll breathe . Maybe you can get perfume sachets for paint - you used to be able to :idea:

You can have damp which smells, or you can have mould which smells (due to the spores), but you cant just have a damp smell on its' own

woody

we did have a bit of mould, which i put down to decorating prior to the walls be fuly dry with vinyl paint.

have now stripped off the paint (it came off in strips) and the wall has now marks and feels dry but i still have the damp smell in the room

Sponsored Links
Hotrod, it is - thought that that post had died!

Will take some pictures tonight and post them.

picutre of the internal side of the wall - looks completely dry and doesnt feel wet.

externally the wall is completely dry, no water staining, gutters all renewed so working properly and the ground runs away from the house.

one thing i didn't point out is that this is in an internal room, no window and does not have any ventilation fitted.

if i have suffered from damp but resolved the cause, would lack of mechanical ventilation leave the smell for some considerable time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back