Getting started (or how to keep a planning approval 'live')

Would Building Control help here ref: what constitutes the start or is it the planning officers to define ???

Building Control have no interest in Planning conditions so you’d need to speak to your Planning department. As mentioned above, the Town & Country Planning Act defines commencement once a material operation has been carried out and demolition is deemed as a material operation. Referencing the T&CPA when you speak to the Planning department will help and then ask about the CoL approach.

Sponsored Links
I ran my PP right up to near the date of expiry, but got my foundations in and signed off by building control with a few days to spare.

I appreciate that a lot of the debate is about what is a material start, but personally I was more concerned about having a record of getting started in time (whatever the start is).

If you pay your BC fees, and then get them out to discuss your footings once the garage is demolished, or even if you a trial pit and ask BC to confirm if deep enough for your footings. Then you then have an independent record of the work commencing ahead of the PP expiry.

As has been said, Planning and Building Control are separate, but having a record at the council of when some works were inspected removes any possible contention about having started within the planning approval window.

“TCPA 1990, s 56(2) provides that development shall be taken to be begun when a 'material operation' is carried out. A 'material operation' is defined in TCPA 1990, s 56(4), and includes any work of construction in the course of the erection of a building, demolition of buildings and the digging of trenches etc”

Thanks for sharing the URL / Hyperlinks to the TCPA codes but alas they are to a site that requires a login . I will go and hunt them down in the big policy online!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for sharing the URL / Hyperlinks to the TCPA codes but alas they are to a site that requires a login . I will go and hunt them down in the big policy online!

They were not meant to come across as links. The text just refers to the Town & Country Planning Act 1990, Section 56, Paragraph 2 and then Paragraph 4.

@fine tune has however provided the link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back