Getting under the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get under the floor in an alcove of the kitchen/diner area of my house (to try and find the source of dampness rising up the wall) - this part of the room is a normal suspended wooden floor with laminate single planks over the top, then the skirting boards fixed over the top of the laminate. I suspect, but dont know yet, that the laminate planks go across the underlying floorboards. Is this the right thing to do...?

1. remove skirting around the alcove
2. remove 2 or 3 lengths of laminate from one run so the adjacent runs strips are accessible, numbering them underneath by piece nearest the alcove and which run they come from
3. move on to next run and repeat 2.
4. take up underlay - just cut this around the exposed section?
5. take up floorboards

I need to look at the spare pack left by previous owners how the laminate strips fit together but I think they are just clicked and hopefully not glued! Should it be easy enough to take up and put back down?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back