Gimp software

I

imamartian

I've been recommended this free software for 'photoshopping' pics.... and i tried to install it last night and got sent to all manner of different websites, and when i finally tried to run the install program, Norton said "you're one of the first people ever to try and run this, are you sure"... which kinda spooked me.

Can anyone share a bona fide url for downloading this software.... or a strong recommendation for not doing so?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's shockingly easy to find: http://www.gimp.org/
Why so quick to be patronising? i did find it that easily!! :rolleyes: it's the screen after that looks a lot different and isn't a gimp web address, AND the fact Norton didn't like it !!!!

Yes, it's an external download site. They're very common and I'm surprised you've never seen Sourceforge before.

As for Norton, why are you even using that thing? It's a waste of space.

Sponsored Links
Gimp is written for a UNIX environment, but will run on Win xx OS's as well as Mac OS's
This is probably why Norton is throwing a bit of a wobbly.

Would run well on my Ubuntu system. ;) ;)

Gimp is written for a UNIX environment, but will run on Win xx OS's as well as Mac OS's
This is probably why Norton is throwing a bit of a wobbly.

Would run well on my Ubuntu system. ;) ;)

Uhm, no, I doubt that's anything to do with Norton throwing a wobbly. Norton being crap is the sole cause of that.

Must admit I have Gimp on my computer and have tried it once. ..Not very easy to use, whereas Shotwell photo manager (used for downloading images from my camera to the computer,) has some nice easy to use features. ;) ;) ;)

I did try Gimp with UFRaw and it did work. However the college course required I used CS4 and once I started using that I found the cheap programs could not really match it. However Photoshop does have some problems and Picturenaut seems to work better with HDR for example.

Much will depend what one wants to do. Simple levels and unsharp mask worked well.

Like Picasa that we lately reacquainted myself along with I need to take another look at GIMP because it might just possess improved since i have last used it ten years or so ago But We too often hear from customers it’s a good intellectual challenge (similarly towards the Panorama Toolset).

Anyhow I’ll install and see. I recall the various flying home windows aren’t in order to everyone’s taste.

Btw -- Picasa does Uncooked (as far as I understand GIMP doesn’t as they are).

Having spent thousands of hours using Photoshop CS4 extended, & a lot of its more obscure features, I found Gimp fairly straightforward. A few things are different, but it's aimed at the same sort of user.

It can be a bit like using a Combine Harvester to mow the lawn, if all you need is the commonly used stuff.
(Like using Autocad to sketch something - I gave up.)

NORTON, otoh, I have never experienced, or heard, a good thing about. BURY it!

Irfanview is recommended by quite a few people although I don't do a lot of editing.My photos are crap!! & it would take more than Photoshop to sort them out. :D

Sponsored Links
Back