Glass Block Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to build a glass block wall in my conservatory to try and divide the room into 2 distinct areas. Ideally I want the wall to be about waist height - so 6 or 7 blocks.

My problem is securing the wall.

The conservatory is the width of the house and I'd like to split it width ways. The external wall of the house has a radiator on it which will make it hard to attach the frame for the glass blocks at that end. The opposite wall is a full height glass panel, so nothing to attach it to there if I was to mirror my plans. There's a piccy below to try and show you what I'm talking about.

plans.jpg

I've never worked with glass blocks before, though I have read about both the dry fix and wet fix methods of installing them.

It's probably worth mentioning at this point that the floor is ceramic tiles.

Will either the dry fix or wet fix methods be strong enough to hold the wall without supporting it at either end? (Obviosuly I'll drill the floor and secure the base of the frame).
I have considered making/getting some metal brackets, attaching them to the wall above and below the radiator and bending them round to give me something to support that end of the frame.
Ideally, I wouldn't have the L shape at the other end, but my thoughts are this would add support to the other end of the frame?

Let me know if I'm about to start a project destined to fail!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
why not get a plumber to put two radiators in for you, and then fasten back to the wall?

That has crossed my mind. I just wondered if I could get away without the additional expense.

If did choose that option would the dry fix kit do the job and would I still need an 'L' shape at the freestanding end or would it be sturdy enough?

If you use the reinforcing rods in between the columns of blocks and set them into floor it should be reasonably sturdy. I reckon that's the wet system.

Sponsored Links
When you say set them into the floor, how deep should they go? The conservatory floor presumably has a dampcourse somewhere down there?

Thanks.

I haven't used glass blocks myself, so take these suggestions as just that. Some of the systems I have looked at use stainless rods about Ø6mm, I would suggest that you drill holes into the floor say 60mm deep and epoxy/resin the rods into place. Drill about 2mm bigger than the rod diameter Ø8mm if they are Ø6mm rods & use chemical anchor resin about £10 for a 300ml tube.

Your floor will be around 100mm thick and allowing 10mm for your tiles you should not get anywhere near your dpm. If your conservatory has a sand/cement screed over its floor slab you might even go deeper. This will give the wall a shear key - and stop it simply sliding across your floor.

If you move the radiator and tie it likewise back to the wall it should be stable. There will still be a chance that the top corner away from the wall might be a bit unstable, the only way to be absolutely sure would be to put a return on it, but you could always add that later if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back