Glossing plaster.............??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to gloss plaster and get a finish on it? Im asking because the area around my bedroom window is plastered, however there is an achitrave around the widow and the sill to be glossed, along with the window itself.
This leaves an area that is currently plastered (reveals?) that is painted white, but i would prefer it all to be glossed the same?

Might be a silly question, i hope you can follow my description

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thin some oil based undercoat down and give it a coat and let it soak in. Then undercoat it again with a full undercoat and follow it up with the gloss afterwards. Shouldnt come to any harm where it is.

If you are talking bare plaster you will need to prime it with Alkali resisting primer first otherwise the alkali surface of the plaster may react with the oil in the paint, it causes a defect called saponification and is a right pig to put right after the damage has been done.

saponification,what a brilliant word!,would you mind elaborating on what it actually means/does.
Regards
Paul
p.s. sorry for hi-jacking thread,but is relevant!

Sponsored Links
Its when the chemically active surface of plaster, rendering or anything else thats highly alkali reacts with the oil in the paint and causes the defect called saponification...a brown soapy stain and a possible discolouration of the paint

Ever washed your hands after using cement withought wearing gloves...you get that 'slimy' feeling..thats similar..its the alaki content of the cement reacting with the oil/fats in you skin.

Doesnt always happen...but might

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back