Glossing skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

I have started glossing my doors, skirts and architraves from new and realised that I am making a complete mess of them. The first coat I used was undercoat then gloss and ended up putting about 4 coats on and it still didnt look any good.

Can you advise how I can now get these to look like brand new and shiny glossed doors and skirts? I am aware now that I should have used knotting for the knots and then primer before doing anything else. Can I start from scratch with the knotting and primer now even though the wood now has gloss on it??

Andy

Sponsored Links
knotting solution can only be used on raw wood to do its job properly. A coat of oil based primer is then applied and allowed to dry. A good rub down with some (i use) aluminium oxide paper 80 - 120 grit. Dust off, fill, then two coats of oil based undercoat. Rub down again, a finer paper needed now, dust off then one coat of good trade Brill white gloss, i usually use Dulux. If need be, a second slightly thinner gloss on top.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify one part, are you saying that you would apply a coat of oil based primer first or was this what you would do if starting from raw wood?

If not do I just start with rubbing the wood down with the aluminium oxide paper?

Andy

Sorry if i confused you. From raw wood,
1/ Use knotting solution on all knots.
2/Apply oil based primer.
3/ Rub down
4/ Apply oil based undercoat
5/ Rub down
6/ Apply oil based undercoat
7/ rub down lighter
8/ Apply oil based gloss.
9/ After a couple of weeks, very gentle rub with wet and dry using water, dry off, second coat of gloss...but only if you want.

Sponsored Links
Thats great, thanks.

However I am still confused when starting from raw wood that I have already glossed but did not use the correct materials for and therefore look a mess.

Should I use the same procedure as below but cancel off using the knotting solution and oil based primer? For this should i just start with the rub down?

Sorry for confusion.

Do the paint products have to be oil based or is just that it can give a better finish? I'm about to start on the same job and my primer/undercoat and gloss are water based :/

I personally would not use water based paint as you cant get a decent shine on it. Its not that easy to rub down either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back