Glow Worm Fuelsaver Mk2 Boiler cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone may have an answer to my problematic boiler.
The problem is that the overheat cut out keeps tripping. My engineer has replaced the pump, gas valve, boiler thermostat and thermocouple over the past few months but the problem still persists. We have recently flushed through after adding a system cleaner but still no improvement. His opinion, due to having replaced the obvious causes, was that the heat was not getting away from the boiler quick enough due to the pipework or heat exchanger being partially blocked. I can fully understand this point of view except for one reason.....
When the boiler is lit and the controls are switched on, the boiler will flash up and run for a certain period of time. Once the water is at the temperature selected on the boiler thermostat, the main burners cut out leaving just the pilot, just as it should. However, around 15 seconds later there is a click and the overheat cut out shuts off the pilot. However, if for example I set the boiler thermostat to low, start it up and let it run until it cuts out, the overheat still clicks in after around 15 seconds. But, if I do the same again i.e. run the boiler with thermostat on low, then, as soon as it cuts out, I increase the temp on the boiler thermostat before the overheat cut out clicks in, the boiler will flash up and keep burning until it reaches the new temperature and then cuts out. The overheat still cuts in around 15 seconds after this.
Surely, if the problem was due to heat not getting away from the heat exchanger, and the cut out tripping on a low temperature setting, then I would not be able to increase the boiler thermostat and get the boiler to burn for much longer?
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I know this sounds a bit crazy but check your pilot flame is good. Observe it before and after the main burner goes out. [The air in there is a bit thinner after the burner goes out] Replacement pilot injectors are hard to obtain for these but a knowledgeable stockist will know a way around it.

Overheat stats aren't usually expensive and do go wrong sometimes

According to the instructions I've been looking at your boiler stat includes a pump over-run. Check that it is working.

Hi - does anyone have the instructions for the Glowworm fuelsaver - specfically about the over-run to share please ?

I recently replaced the cylinder, zone valve, pump & controller - but I know I didn't include the over-run (because I didn't know how to wire it)

If you have the instructions please - I can put this back.

I did consider installing a manual over-run...ie a switch to open the zone valive & activate the pump for 30mins after the boiler has switched off...the new cylinder is amazingly efficient & would be good to share the heat through the radiators

Thanks
PeteD, York

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply...what do you think of this idea...

I can't work out how to wire the overrun, so I was thinking of having a manual over-run...to install a swith to run the pump & open the zone valve (but not call for heat to the boiler) - and so the radiators continue to have hot water pumped around from the cylinder.

Obviously would need to remember to turn it off, or install a separate timer clock.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
PeteD, York

I can't work out how to wire the overrun, so I was thinking of having a manual over-run...to install a swith to run the pump & open the zone valve (but not call for heat to the boiler) - and so the radiators continue to have hot water pumped around from the cylinder.

To what purpose? Do you think the stored heat in the cylinder is free?
Apart from that the cylinder water and the radiator water are completely seperate on most systems.

Agreed - the radiator & domestic hot water are separate.
But the cylinder is full of domestic hot water, which we do not always use fully, and so my idea was to keep pumping the radiator water around the system for say another 30mins, and keep it warm from the cylinder.

Maybe I am wrong - would circulating radiator water back through the cylinder coil not make it hot enough to the heat the rads, but have the reverse effect to cool the domestic hot water ?

Thanks
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back