GLOWORM COMPACT 100E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have had this boiler for about 8 years now and allways had problems with it. I have a kept all the bits that have been replaced and I have a lot. Recently the boiler was working fine for a number of months until we noticed a leak and the boiler was continually tripping out. Called homeserve who sent a guy and he replaced the heat exchanger and a couple of other bits this was the third heat exchanger the boiler had had. He said he had fixed it but not half an hour had passed before it tripped again plus there was still a small leak. Rang them again and a few days later he came round again and replaced the main PCB and fixed the small leak, he was really pleased with himself and said the boiler was now fixed. Again not half an hour passed and the boiler tripped again. Now when you press the reset button you can hear the ignition spark but after maybe 10 seconds it doesn't ignite and tripps again. we repeat this process maybe 4 times before it ignites and all is well for maybe half and hour before it trips out again. we are going to call them out again and see what happens, any advice?

Thanks

Geoff

Sponsored Links
Hi, Engineer coming round Friday, dont hold out much hope as we have had many of them. I read in another post that someone who replaces the PCB without diagnosing the fault is probably not very good.

Anyone have any input?
Geoff

the pcb on this boiler is prone to problems... once pcb is changed the burner pressures have to be set up properly, hopefully this was done..... has boiler been serviced recently?

having read your post again, it sounds like either gas valve is not opening or if it does the boiler is not recognising that it has light, could be gas valve, electrodes, or pcb ( but just been changed) or cross lighters on burner blocked ( burner dirty) or burner pressure way out ( too low). all i can think of with info given.......

would not accept waiting til friday though! call insurance tell em u have no htg and hw....

Sponsored Links
oh and seeing as you`ve had 3 plate heat exchangers in the past, have you had your whole system cleaned? if they were replaced coz they were blocked then replacement only fixes the problem not the cause.......

Well its never been serviced in its life. I heard its pretty expensive to get it flushed but if the problems are going to keep hasppening then its the best thing to do. Also it looks like we will need a new one so definately going to get it flushed before then. Make me laugh these guys who say its fixed then half an hour later it trips out again.

Would it make any difference draining the system then refill maybe shift some of the dirt?

It took three goes before the boiler lit before, then half an hour later its off again.

Also when the boiler does light it only stays lit for a couple of minutes then it stops, 30 secs after that it ignites again for 30 secs or so. This process continues until the eventual lock out.

Thanks for your comments.

Geoff

Well the boiler man came out today and spent an hour on the boiler. He changed the diverter valve and said see how that goes. The boiler stayed alight for 3 hours including running the hot water before tripping then it relit after the second attempt.

This time its been going strong for an hour. He also lowered the temperature a bit. The valve he replaced was thick with black deposits and was difficult to move by hand. I'm sure it needs flushing out and I have drained the boiler before whist fitting two new radiators 18 months ago. So any advice?

Thanks

Geoff[/img]

They tend to leak from the hw diverter valve spindle directly into the microswitch causing a permanent demand and causing the boiler to overheat but I would imagine one of the first things to check and replace.

Well its fixed, two engineers came out, one senior and it took 2 mins to diagnose and 1hr 20mins to fix. Said something about the electrode was not close enough to the gas, whatever that means. He also joked that the boiler had been virtually rebuilt with a new PCB, heat exchanger and various other bits :).

Thanks

Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back