Glowworm Energy Saver Boiler - Buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Glowworm Energy Saver Boiler it was installed about 7-9 years ago. I have been away throughout the summer so have not used the boiler until 2 weeks ago.

Since I have turned it on the boiler makes a loud buzzing noise and then gradually fades out, it doesn't do this all the time sometimes it does it every hour other times every 2 hours, it occasionaly does it when the boiler goes off.

Any ideas what could be causing this, other than this noise the boiler works fine.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A buzzing noise is usually attributed to a fan, a gas valve a pump or rarer still a transformer.
One of them is probably on its way out and the first to go is usually the fan.

It can also be the mod coil on the gas valve if the smoothing circuit on the PCB is defective. Most commonly occurs whent he boiler modulates back as it gets towards target temerature.

I have not worked out which boiler model this one may be yet.

Tony

Thank you for your replies.

The only name on the boiler I can find is Glowworm Energysaver. It has no further model numbers that I can see.

Just to confirm that the noise can start as soon as the boiler switch is turned on but the heating may be yet to come on, it can last anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies.

The only name on the boiler I can find is Glowworm Energysaver. It has no further model numbers that I can see.

Just to confirm that the noise can start as soon as the boiler switch is turned on but the heating may be yet to come on, it can last anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute

Underneath the base of the boiler is a tray. If you pull this out it should say which model 40,50 or 60

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back